MMA So I'm thinking about dumping judo and switching to bjj.

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Joe_Cool, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Not really, but I'm really annoyed right now.

IJF (the Judo world governing body) has a history of dicking around with the rules to "manage" advantages and stifle adaptation and evolution of the sport. For example, a while back they introduced grip rules - you can't have anything other than a standard grip (one hand on one side of the body, one hand on the other side of the body) for more than 5 seconds without attacking - because they were upset that a bunch of russians and eastern europeans started using some nonstandard grips and winning matches. So instead of letting the sport evolve, and letting people figure out how to counter it, they banned it.

Well, they're doing it again. They decided they want to outlaw all "initial attacks" with the hands against the legs. So things like morote gari - sort of a double leg takedown - are now illegal. But not totally illegal. You just can't attack with it. You can grab the legs for a throw as part of a combination, if you miss your first throw. Or as a counter. Why, you ask? Because they want judo to look different from bjj and wrestling. :ugh2: I've heard talk about testing it out at the junior worlds, but it looks like it's going to become a permanent rule change.

So instead of "learn to sprawl if you don't want to get thrown with it", it's now "lol you can't do it".

They don't do stupid shit like this in BJJ, do they?

2. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

only thing you can't do in bjj comps is neck cranks and depending on your level certain leg locks. No heel hooks in gi. Everything else is legit. If you wanna throw your legs under your armpits and smell your asshole the whole match because it's a fancy new guard, you can do that.

3. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

My coach was also my wrestling coach, so I used a lot of double legs in judo, and a lot of osoto gari in wrestling... They work very well together and the purist japanese overmind of the judo feds don't like it. Just how you said.

It's a shame, too. Sport could evolve a lot.

4. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

you can't double leg? :rofl:

5. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

A guy I train with did the exact same thing for those reasons he adapted to it really quite quickly.

6. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

or you can still keep training Judo and just enter BJJ tournaments where all forms of takedowns are accepted :rofl:

7. Ghost of Swayze

Ghost of Swayze Ofcourse you mad

If you feel limited, move on to a more open form of grappling ...Why not?

8. iCEgECKO

iCEgECKO Ballin' at 5'2''

Wow thats pretty lame.

9. Joe_Cool

What's comical is that they say they're trying to protect "pure" judo from outside influences like wrestling.

Yet one of the banned throws (kata guruma - fireman's carry) is a move that the guy who created judo learned from a wrestling book and adopted into his new art. :rofl: Apparently he didn't understand pure judo or the spirit of true judo.

It really pisses me off that they're taking a martial art that was revolutionary, and a modernization of a traditional art, sticking it under glass to be preserved, and turning it into exactly what it broke away from. Archaic, irrelevant, tradition.

10. roose

roose Guest

Cool Joe Cool.

11. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

thread was going awesome until he started nuthugging Judo

12. Joe_Cool

Bro, sorry bro, I'm still trying to figure out the rules for posting around here.

1. Nuthugging bjj = :cool:
    2. Talking shit about judo = :cool:
    3. Saying anything positive about judo = :greddy:

Anything else I'm missing, or does that cover it?

I'm not clear on the nuthugging, though. I stated historical facts about judo and how it started, and said that the governing body is gaying it up. That counts as nuthugging?

13. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

and posting about lesnar = :mamoru:

i agree with you about judo though. too much "tradition" but thats the japaneese for you :dunno:

14. Joe_Cool

As long as he's the champ, I'll keep on. :mamoru2:

that's the one area where I think BJJ is clearly superior to judo: the willingness to accept what's effective, instead of trying to preserve a snapshot of what it once was.

15. kroneX

kroneX New Member

I agree Joe_Cool, however the place I train at has the 'russian' style of judo. Same rules, but these guys adapt and overcome a lot more than the japanese judo places, I have actually gotten d/qd from competition just because i used illegitimate attacks.

but if i ever fight a wrestler or a pure bjj guy, you can bet your bottom dollar he ends up on his ass, so maybe what your looking for his some more less traditional more 'russian/eastern european' judo places to train at. Give those guys a try, I prefer there style over the japanese style of standing up straight etc etc.

16. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

Judo is for bitches!

just kidding. i like judo. my body just hurts too much after. stick with it

17. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

I'd personally dump bjj for judo. Bjj is fun, but judo seems moreso.

Just my .02.

18. Cheeks

Cheeks New Member

Do whatever works for you, man. Try it out and if you feel like it is your element then stick with it. At the end, you know what's best for you.

19. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

It may be a difference in the schools I tried, but I couldn't take the constant throwing in judo. BJJ I can go and knock out a 2 hour class and not have a horrible headache and hurt the next day and judo damn near killed me.

20. Joe_Cool

I enjoy the ground work, but I love the throwing.

21. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

I'm completely the opposite. In comps I just pull guard or go back to wrestling double/singles. :rofl:

22. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

Getting thrown sucks though. Ippon Seonagi and a bad shoulder are not a pleasant mix.

23. Optamix

Optamix New Member

This.

I did one Judo class and it was just painful. I have mad respect for the guys that stick with it.

24. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Touch Pro: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; PPC; Opera Mobi/16643; U; en))

things like this are the reason bruce lee invented crosstraining

25. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

I get pissed off too because I came up in an old school judo dojo that wasnt so much about competition and more about self defense. The guy jack williams is the guy that brought judo to florida and he was rhoddy fergusons judo sensei.

I learned a lot of cool throws that arent practiced. My best throw ever is kani basami (scissor body take down) and im good with the scissor leg take down as well. I competed in a judo tournament down in florida for fun and when I landed my kani basami I got ejected from the tournament because it was illegal.