So Im thinkin about a 1st bike

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ledzep73, Mar 23, 2007.

1. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Lookin at a used Ninja 250, or maybe a 500. Im not to worried about the price. Like I said, Im new to this, so Im open to suggestions for a different bike. Any help would be appreciated.

2. FKY326

FKY326 New Member

both of those sound great for a beginner... most people think they have to have at least a 600, but plenty of the guys that i ride with are still on their 250 or 500 and they can run circles around people on bigger bikes (on curvy roads anyways)

3. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

When I drop a bike what am I going to break? How much will it cost to fix? There aren't many used bikes for sale around here, and I can afford to get a Ninja 500, or a GS500, but I don't know much about either bike. ANyhting else I should look at? Someone help me out a bit.

4. Frequency

Frequency New Member

rash up the fairings(plastic covering)
    break a turn signal
    break/bend a lever(clutch or break)
    break a clipon(handle bar)
    break a mirror
    break your shifter
    rash up the clutch cover

any or all of this could happen

5. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

It's really a matter of preference I beileve. I think if you use the bike for commuting purposes I honesly believe you will outgrow your 250 and at minimum you should get a 500. Jumping from a 500 Ninja to a ZX6R or even ZZR is a big jump.

After recently having to deal with my buddy's GS500 I would definately go with the Ninja. One major reason for me is simply having to deal with the choke and the fact that the GS500 are notorious for buring oil. There may be people out there that this is just not the case or that all bikes have similar problems. The way I see it is that there are enough people who have experienced it and I got to see it first hand with my friend.

As for drops Frequency pretty much covered it. It really depends on the drop. I've seen drops on driveway that scratch engine case and broke mirror then I've seen the same drops with minor scratches and nothing else. Of course higher speed crashes you can expect a shit load of stuff that can get fucked up.

6. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

I've asked around and most people seem to recommend the Ninja over the GS500. I'm going to stop by the dealers today and look at them both all the same, they are only a few minutes out of my way. Its good to hear the drops seem to cause mostly cosmetic damage, it won't hurt my ego to drive a scratched bike, I can always fix it after I drop it twice and not have to fix the same thing twice.

7. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

since it seems youre concerned about drops, definitely buy used. it will piss you off some but still not as much as if the bike were new. as far as finding a used bike goes, try craigslist or ebay in your area, local newspapers and local online classified ads.