So I'm starting a running club at my shool. v.Any suggestions/how should I set it up

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by k1d., Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k1d.

k1d. New Member

So a friend and I are planning on starting a running club at University of Houston and this is my first time organizing anything like this.... I was wondering if you guys can give some insight on how I should organize this. Also give me any potential ideas and etc. on how to make it successful and fun for everyone.

So far this was what I was thinking...
    -Small one time members fees (just to cover club t-shirts or whatever)
    -Fund raise money for societies (American Cancer Society, Leukemia, etc.)
    Instead of doing bake sales and shit for our own good, we'll donate all proceeds to these societies.
    -Have maybe two group runs a week. Different pace groups.
    -Socials (hang out and shit)
    -Organize racing teams within the group if they want... (If there is a certain race coming up... people can get together and train for it)
    -Find sponsors to maybe get us discounts on running gear and etc.

Shrugs...

Any insight would be great.

edit:
    Ultimately we just want to start a group where people can join of all fitness level.. make friends, get in shape, and help other people out(fund raising for those who are sick and etc.)

2. PcH

PcH Guest

FAU has a running club that meets every Tuesday late afternoon at our track. I've never attended and don't think they have membership fees. Socials sound fun.

3. Hpower

Hpower GO GATORS

don't you have to get these approved through the schools altheltic something? You should be able to get school funding then. I sorta helped start a club a few years ago. Set goals or what the club is for, you know compete in 5k or whatever. Found it easier to just buy t-shirt then charge for them until you have built up a club fund through fundraising and what not. Good idea to volunteer to do stuff so when you ask for sponsors or donations you can say you do more than like to run and have socials. Get some kind a set training regimen or schedule for new people who maybe don't have alot of expierence.

4. Foty

Foty Active Member

Do you have a full size of your av?

5. sophocles

sophocles New Member

lol beat me to it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.