MIL So I'm signing up for the AF

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JoeMayo, Apr 19, 2008.

1. JoeMayo

JoeMayo New Member

Already had appt with recruiter and called him today and told him I'm 100% wanting to go in.
    He wants me to to come take the asvab test next thursday. I have 5 jobs that I want to do and only those 5 jobs.. Should I tell him now or wait till after I do the asvab and physical? I figure with 5 guarantee jobs it wouldn't be to hard to get 1 soon or I'll just wait..

2. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

what 5 jobs are you looking at ?

why did you choose the AF ?

3. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

well, if you dont tell him about them he wont be able to help you get one of them

on the other hand, he also wont be able to jerk you around about not being able to...it all depends on the guy i guess

4. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Tell him what you want. Don't play games with him - he has a job to do and keeping info from him only makes it harder to get you what you want.

Also - if you haven't done so already, do a few ASVAB practice exams here: www.military.com/asvab

Good luck.

5. JoeMayo

JoeMayo New Member

Network intelligence analyst
    Loadmaster
    Electrical Systems
    X-Ray tech
    Signals Intelligence Production
    2e2x1-Computer,network,switching and cryptographic systems

6. Ranger-AO

loadmaster ftmfw (for going places, seeing things, if you like to travel. a lot.)
    X-Ray Tech ftw (if you want a solid entry into a good civilian job with excellent benefits that you can retire with.

7. JoeMayo

JoeMayo New Member

Loadmaster was my first choice when I started to think about AF. But what would I do after my service..
    I mentioned xray tech to recruiter other day and he kindof shrugged it off and said something like "right now it's very hard to get medical. most of the people aren't leaving there staying in.. xray tech is something that I've wanted to do after highschool.. If I tell him I'll do 6years if I can have this one it might help me?

8. Ranger-AO

Get the mindset that YOU are in control of this - not your recruiter.

YOU control your asvab score, which will either give your recruiter a hardon or a severe case of the giggles.

YOU control what job you will accept. If your recruiter says XRay Tech is hard to get, that only means HE will have to work harder to get it for you.

So get a good ASVAB score and if you want X-Ray Tech, then tell your recruiter that you will not accept anything other than X-Ray Tech. He will try to guide you into accepting something that he has a lot of vacancies for. Walk away until he gives you what you want. He will have to do some work to get you that job, but that's what he gets paid to do - and it's your future we're talking about.

This is a lot like dealing with a car salesman. The first one to give in loses. Seriously.

9. JoeMayo

JoeMayo New Member

I will study more this week.. Only problem I'm having remembering is the fractions adding,subtracting etc..
    Electrical,Auto,Maintenance shouldn't be to hard since I like computers and I work on my cobra all the time.

10. s1cko

s1cko Active Member

Shit was easy son, just relearn all the stupid shit that you learned in fourth grade like multiplying and dividing by decimals.

11. burn__

burn__ New Member

are you allowed calculators for the math portion? i just went through one of the short practice tests and theres absolutely no way id be able to do some of the roots without a calculator. been about 6 years since ive taken a math course :o

12. flipflop

flipflop flippity flop flippity flop

what ever you do go in with a FORSURE job choice that you want. I made the mistake of going in OPEN GENERAL....and got FVCKING AMMO.. I hate my life

13. armond

armond New Member

no calculators

14. burn__

burn__ New Member

:wtc:

15. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

its like 2nd grade stuff though, they really need to redo the ASVAB. high school deploma or GED is required for entry into military, so I see no reason why higher level high school content should not be part of the test. more emphasis on the individual areas of the ASVAB, hell they could do away with the score completely (the up to 99 one) since it's not even used for placement. needs more areas that are counted too. you should not be allowed to be in a job that requires thinking if you score low on logic or reasoning.

i hate when people join the navy to work on computers and they have no way of learning anything about them. its one thing to have the ability to learn it, and ill be happy to help teach. but when you have people that dont have the ability to problem solve or think for themselves, its the wrong rate.

sorry my rant on stupid people in the military. i take that back, stupid people can be in the military for the physical labor jobs that dont take a brain... boatsain mate for example requires to you know how to use a paintbrush, sweep, and pull a rope. a monkey can do that.

16. Ranger-AO

:werd:

I'm taking online correspondence stuff through AKO for promotion points. I figured "Basic Math" would be too easy. I had to relearn how to do long division and fractions all over again! :rofl:

I got a 94 on the test :mamoru:

17. JoeMayo

JoeMayo New Member

Talked to recruiter today. Talked about doing asvab next tuesday.. he wants me to take it this thursday then do physical. Told him no I wanna take it tuesday then do physical the following week.. Looked at calender and I see that he's trying to meet he's quota for the month with me.
    Also I have 2 jobs so it's not that easy to study and get time off.. If I had one I've already would of taken the test..

18. armond

armond New Member

Do it on your terms, but get it done, and good luck with the studying.

It really isn't all that bad, just make sure you understand all the basic BS and some of the more "advanced" aspects of math, such as the roots. You will do fine. How is your reading comprehension and word knowledge? Also, be sure to know basic principles of electricity, some basic physics/chemistry and you will do great! Let us know what your AFQT and MAGE scores are when you get it done! Good luck again!

19. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

i'm also going to be speaking to an air force recruiter next week. Hopefully i get a good score so that i can get an awesome job.

20. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Just remember that every job can suck. You have to make the most of what you get, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

21. Ranger-AO

I searched through the entire list of fonts, but could not find a larger DOT than this:

22. burn__

burn__ New Member

trying to get in touch with an officer recruiter around here is hell :mad: