MIL So Im researching the NEW GI BILL and it really doesn't seem as great as it did...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by StuDLei, Apr 30, 2009.

1. StuDLei

StuDLei Death before Dishonor

at first.

Since 2001 I have over 30 months of active duty time which I thought would put me in the 90th percentile for benefits to be received. Well some of that time is bootcamp/SOI time so it looks like that will cut me back to at least the 80th percentile. I went on two tours(both over a year but only 7 months in country per each tour). 80% aint that bad but I was hoping to be able to go to school wo having to work or at least work less than say 30 hours per week. Don't know if Ill be able to do that at this point. Also it seems that you dont get to start fresh with 36months...any time you've used in the past with the shitty GI bill counts against that 36 months. Im not sure how many months I have left or even how to find out. Any one have any word on this? I've looked through the FAQ on the VA page but still have questions. Who should I talk to? I dont even know where to start. Fuck, after two tours you would think I would just be able to walk in to some state school and go for free and get my books paid for and a decent check every month to help pay the freakin bills:wtc:

SO YOU HAVE TO BE ACTIVELY DRILLING TO RECIEVE POST 9-11 GI BILL BENEFITS??? WHAT IN THE MOTHER OF FUCK. I WENT ON TWO TOURS YOUR FUCKING COCKSUCKERS. HOW THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO GO TO SCHOOL WHILE IN A COMBAT ZONE? MY CONTRACT FUCKING ENDED BEFORE I EVEN HIT THE DECK IN IRAQ MY SECOND TOUR. NOW YOU ARE TELLING ME I CANT GET THESE BENEFITS UNLESS IM CURRENTLY DRILLING? WHAT IN THE HOT FUCK. SORRY FOR THE CAPS BUT IM FUCKING FURIOUS.

AND

PLEASE RESPOND

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  2. The Weasel

The Weasel Lakers, Packers, Flyers, Backpacking, Halo Crew OT Supporter

3. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (LG-CU720/V1.0l Obigo/Q05A Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.1.20.0)

New does suck in my opinion. I feel for you guys that genuinely can not do school. Most can that i meet, just too many excuses.

4. origin unknown

origin unknown OT Supporter

you can still use the old GI Bill

5. whitecouch

I know, I do.:hsd:

6. Julius

Julius Guest

how's the active MGIB working for you? is it enough?

7. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

It really depends on your state if you should switch or not.

8. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

New GI Bill is cool if you are going to an in-state school. If you choose to go to an out of state, or a private one, old GI Bill is probably going to be better (unless they are part of the yellow ribbon program).

9. whitecouch

I use it for top up until my TA runs out and then I use it to pay for classes. It covers two grad classes at Embry-Riddle so it should cover most big name unis.:wavey:

10. StuDLei

old gi bill is worse for me. I would get like 700 a month or something. The new GI bill IS really good, but it could be better. What Im saying is I believe since I gave up two years of my life to go on two deployments, where I risked my life, I should get the full benefit and so should anyone else. Hell, with the hell we went through, anyone who went on one tour should get the full bene no questions asked

11. StuDLei

Never even really thought of it that way, but yeah thats fucked up. I mean shit I went twice for goodness sake. It wouldnt be that bad if they would fucking count bootcamp SOI, at least then I would get 90%.

12. StuDLei

FUCKIN FUCK READ MY UPDATE ON POST 1

13. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

wait, wat? Where did you find that out from?

14. StuDLei

FUCK. I talked to someone from VA. Basically I called their 1-888 GIBILL1 number and talked to some fuckstick there. Im going to call back and see what someone else says. My phones charging and Im so pissed off right now I need a break from this shit. Thats what he said though dude. The official VA website doesnt say anything of that sort, however it's hard to know whats what with anything on there. Like everyhthing in the military its so fucked up... you have to have this and this and this with that but not that but this only when you have done this during that timeframe. FUCK. If i dont get these benes I am going to murder someone.

15. thekinggovernor

I am going to have to say he probably misspoke, as far I as I can think of VA benefits are not centered about whether you stay affiliated with the military. In fact, if you are a drilling reservist you can't collect disability

16. StuDLei

Im not trying to collect disability. Not sure why your brought that up:dunn: no big deal either way.

Anyways, I talked to a Va rep from a local college here. He said I was able to receive these benefits. He also said I would get the full 36 months even though Ive used other GI bill benefits in the past. Sounds great, but I know thats pretty much BS from everything else Ive read or people Ive spoken to regarding this matter. I wasn't going to argue with him though, everyone Ive talked to "knows" they are right and they all have different answers.

So anyways I just filled out the online application for Post 9/11 benefits through the VA website. What a fucking bitch that was. So hopefully in the next 6 months:rofl: I will hear back from them telling me something different and incomplete. FML. I am considering going back in the service. Doing a fresh 20 and getting the fuck out. The civilian job market sucks cock right now and if there is one thing aobut the military I like, the pay and promotions are pretty strait forward. I must be losing my mind.

17. The Weasel

The Weasel Lakers, Packers, Flyers, Backpacking, Halo Crew OT Supporter

Bullshit. As long as you did your active time, you should be able to use the bill, regardless of being active, reserve, or IRR. The new bill has a 15 year limit in when to use it.

18. thekinggovernor

just to show that there is a giant divide between the VA and military, it is there by design.

sounds like you are on the right path with getting the paperwork started but yea I think you are losing your mind lol

19. Julius

Julius Guest

motherfucking DOT

20. clever_username

clever_username Active Member

i'm trying to understand this shit too. under the old gi bill, i get 1300 a month. under the new one, they pay my tuition (for summer it's about $580) and i only get the BAH rate for my area, which is like $950. so how is the new one better? am i missing something?

i mean, i pay my tuition out of my first check, and the next one is still 1300. under the new plan, it appears i'd be getting less money.

21. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I'm a drilling reservist and I collect disability. Its pro-rated based on how many days you serve during that month.

22. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I served all 4 of my active duty years stateside (98-02). What about the active duty people who have served 4+ tours? Should a reservist who has served two tours get the same as them? The GI Bill is about service in general, not necessarily combat service (although it does play a part).

There are two different GI Bills. One for Title 10 (active duty) and one for Title 32 (reserve component). I am eligible for Title 10 because I served 4 years active. I couldn't even begin to tell you the differences between the two now, but I believe the initial contributions are different. At least they were when I joined.

23. StuDLei

The way I see it, if you went on ONE TOUR, you should get 100% of this benefit. If you did four years active stateside, same. If you did four tours, fuck, give that man a full benes and a bj for everday he spent over there.

I don't really have many updates for you guys in case you were interested. I applied for the Post 9/11 GI Bill online on Monday. I received a conformation email and now I'm just waiting. I feel a little more at east after talking to some more people/doing some more research. Hopefully everything works out. Ill keep ya posted and if anyone else is doing that, please do the same.

24. kazimer

kazimer New Member

The new GI Bill works great for me. As an occifer I did not qualify for the original one, this new one allows me to qualify. I plan to use every bit of it to learn to fly helicopters and jet powered airplanes :mamoru:

25. Tycoon

Tycoon New Member

occifer