SRS So I'm on the West Coast right now.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by deusexaethera, Feb 18, 2010.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'm in Ventura County on business, but I've been getting out a bit as time allows. Went up to San Luis Obispo last weekend, among other things. You know, I gotta say I like it here. One thing in particular that I like: strangers will actually talk to me on occasion. Back east people only talk to each other if they're drunk in a bar or they grew up together, and I'm the only guy on my block who just hangs out outside. Everyone else I only see when they're walking to their cars, and even neighbors I've known for years will sometimes ignore me when I say Hi. It's not like that here, at least not so far. Maybe it's me who's acting differently, I dunno, but it seems like it's everyone else that's a little more friendly.

2. jonno

jonno New Member

i found the opposite. visited San Diego last summer and expected a much more friendly/open crowd.

i left with the impression that they care about friendship only if it has a superficial utility to them. a lot of people seemed to care about status and materialistic shit. yeah, there are people like this everywhere. but i've never seen it like this.

it's different, man. people back east could be harder to meet and will not open up as easily. but if you do get past that guard... you may have a friend for life. we value family and friendships a lot more IMO. then again, people could be so tight here because lots of us grew up here and have stayed. CA is full of transplants.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

A change of enviroment can do wonders, but wherever you go you have to 'make it happen' yourself. :wavey: , but it sure helps if the enviroment works together along with you.

4. deusexaethera

I suppose it's worth mentioning that I'm a transplant no matter where I go; I moved around so much as a kid that I'm not really from anywhere. There's no place on Earth that I just sort of naturally fit in because I was raised there, but when I'm around other people with a similar background (usually military brats), it's a lot easier to "interface" because they know what it's like too.

Funny thing is, the DC area is full of transplants too, but they're too busy working to talk to anyone, and of course, the townies already know a bunch of people, so they're content to keep to themselves.

That guard is something I got used to out of necessity when I was going to school in NJ, but generally speaking I'm a terrible judge of when people want me to make the first move, so I usually don't. Not having to deal with that guard anymore would be a really nice change.

I swear if I didn't know better (and maybe I don't) that I'm going through a manic episode right now. I can barely sleep, my brain won't shut off, but it's not problems I'm thinking about. For the first time in a long time I'm thinking forward, but not just about obligations like I normally do, but rather how to de-obligate myself from them.

5. Nite_Lilly

Nite_Lilly Member

:wavey:I'd go with that!

6. Socrates

Socrates New Member

I had the opposite experience when I lived in California while in the Marines.

You would really love the midwest, as far as people go. Lots of friendly people here.

7. deusexaethera

Had a quick conversation with my boss this morning. It struck me just how tired I was of putting up with his bullshit. Not something I would've noticed had I been seeing him every single day for the past couple of weeks, instead of being on the other side of the country from him. Not to say he's a bad guy on the whole, but I am getting tired of the job.

Then again, I wouldn't be out here if I weren't working for him, so...(shrug)...not saying it makes any sense on a rational level. Maybe I'm looking for excuses to jump ship.