SRS So I'm on day 5 of my depression meds

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Trickypants, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Trickypants

Trickypants OT Supporter

I avoided it for about ten years, but finally got prescribed Cymbalta last week.

It seems to have affected me somewhat already. This weekend I was home alone and somewhat bored, but had no desire to drink. Normally I would fight with myself back and forth about getting and finishing a 12 pack before finally just doing it and getting housed.

I even had beer around and didn't want any. Never even occurred to me to drink. Now that could just be that I go through phases of not wanting to drink, but last night was at a friends house and had a few beers and was fine.

I think more it's about not feeling the need/desire to drink alone to excess. Now I know these kinds of pills take awhile to get functional in your system so it might be psychosomatic, but still, things just don't seem to be bugging me as much. :hs:

2. Battle Angel

Battle Angel New Member

good luck with your meds. if you have any side effects that you dont like be sure to tell your doctor!

3. Ladybug

Ladybug Guest

It's really good to hear when people get some success out of them, it's comforting. :hug:

4. Trickypants

Trickypants OT Supporter

The only one I've had (thus far) is some drowsiness, which I wasn't a fan of seeing as I had that when depressed. :o

Fortunately that seems to be fading a bit as I didn't sleep much last night and I feel quite wide awake today. I'm still on the samples right now and will keep an eye on it before I fill the prescription next week.

5. Trickypants

Trickypants OT Supporter

Upped to 60mg today after a week on the 30mg Cymbalta.

Now we see if there are any additional side effects. :hs:

6. Battle Angel

Battle Angel New Member

if your meds still make you drowsy, take them before you go to bed.

7. doggystylin

doggystylin New Member

I'm not a fan of depression/anxiety meds because you can become dependent on them.

8. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

Don't judge it yet. The effects will vary until the medication reaches a steady state in your body. Give it a few weeks at the minimum, ideally one to two months before making decisions.

9. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

:ugh:

10. Capital B

Capital B New Member

I depend on meds like a paralyzed person depends on their wheelchair. Without them, I ain't going anywhere.

11. doggystylin

doggystylin New Member

lol great analogy

12. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

If you get bad side effects consider 5-HTP. many people don't react well to SSRI's or in your case SSNRI's because they have low levels of seratonin to begin with so the drugs don't help. 5-HTP inceases the seratin levels.

Maybe ask your doc to try both. Lower the Cymbalta and add 5-HTP. You don't want a seratonin overdose.