GUN So I'm moving

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by yar1182, May 16, 2009.

1. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

As some of you know I work out of my home 4 days of the week. Well my boss has been pressuring me to move closer to the shop so I can do the regular 9-5 thing and keep an eye on everything. Bussiness has been good enough that he could give me a 10% raise, pay my first months rent, and my moving expenses if I move down near the shop. Kind of sneaky how he tied my pay increase with the stipulation I move but I understand that is what is best for the bussiness. So I've been looking a new apartments near work and as a bonus nearer piru which is my favorite shooting range.

I see lots of positives from working out of the shop regular hours. First I'm going to learn how to do more gunsmithing and machining. I might even finish some of these projects that have been sitting in the back of the safe.

Speaking of the safe it is going to be a major hassle to get the safe and all my ammo moved to my new pad. I feel sorry for the moving guy.

2. bobotech

bobotech New Member

I would never let a moving company move my gun stuff.

Or my video game collection.

Or my R/C car collection.

Or my prize collection of Ziggy posters.

Good luck on the move. I hate moving.

3. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Well the guns I will move myself. The safe on the other hand is a whole other issue. I got a storage containier with all sorts of brass, bullets and powder too. That shit is really really heavy.

When I told my UPS guy I'm moving I think he was glad. I live on the 3rd floor and he has to hike all the stuff up to me.

4. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

im moving across the state in july :hs:

5. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Make sure you tell the movers beforehand about your safe. I'm a mover and you wouldnb't believe how many people will hire us in a 2 man crew, then turn out to have a gun safe or a fucking grand piano.

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Yeah that's the first thing I am going to tell the movers when I call. I got a big safe, eat your wheaties in the morning. My buddy just moved I'm going to ask him about his movers. They had this bitchin dolly to move safes. Could climb up stairs and stuff. Will give me more options on if my new pad has a few steps going into the front door.

7. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

How are home prices out there, with the market depressed, if you are going to be there a while you might want to look into buying.

BTW how far are you from the shop now vs where you will be moving to? Does his moving expenses cover breaking your current lease early or is it a month to month thing for you now?

If your buddy had a company that moved a safe get the name from him, I've heard of some moving companies refusing to move big heavy items such as safes.

8. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

While housing has gone down it has not gone down enough.

Shop is a good 2 hours away without traffic. With traffic forget about it. I'm moving north 2 hours. Do not know if I can claim So Cal any more.

I'm month to month at the moment because I got laid off october 2007 (QA manager) and wanted to stay flexible to see what my next gig was. Then I landed this awesome job (awesome in that it a firearms industry job, not awesome in that I make $$$). I knew at some point my boss would want me to move. The whole work at home thing was just until we found a place where we can actually have our 07 FFL (manufacturer) which is next to impossible to get in CA.

Yes I know the safe is going to be a bitch. I am specificly going to call and be up front about it. First words out of my mouth when I call places is "I got a heavy safe, can you move it"

9. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

There are safe moving companies out there. It might be a good idea to have one of them do it because they have more experience doing it and generally are a bit more thorough in their hiring process.

10. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

If you're below about Bakersfield or SLO, you can still claim SoCal. Above Sacto or maybe Chico is NorCal, IMO. (the geographic center of the state is in North Fork. So those two places are about 2 hours, 2.5 hours by freeway from there.)

11. P-chan

P-chan New Member

So the people in North Fork claim "MidCal"?

12. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

lol, no, they claim 290PC. (Sex offender registry). sometimes I swear that whole town is populated by almost nothing but registered sex offenders. And the rest, well...

Let's call it "distinctively rural" and leave it at that, so they really don't care much about north/south.

13. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

It is official I get the keys to the new pad on Sunday. So crazy I'm moving and gearing up for the biggest match of they year at the same time. Not the smartest idea on my part. My boss is real happy though as I pretty much found a place in one week which was his wet dream and did so on the inexpensive.

The new pad has a garage but it is too small for my existing safe. So I sold my safe to a friend and am buying two smaller safes. I'm either going to buy two small safes for the garage, or a small safe for the garage and another safe for inside the apartment (it's actually a 4 plex.) Boss says he'll pay for the safes to be moved and installed.

I'm putting all my reloaders at the shop. This will free up a lot of living space /keep the place clean. I can reload at work kind of like what I do now during down time. Plus I have access to to the air compressors and solvent tank to keep the machines and dies clean.

I have to reapply for my CCW as it needs to be renewed in a year but ventura county should not be a problem especially with my line of work.

14. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Congrats. :big grin:

15. P-chan

P-chan New Member

That's great Ray - hope the move continues to go smooth! :bigthumb:

16. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

congrats my man

17. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

Grats Yarr! :cool: