MMA So Im loving the BJJ

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by The Ripper, Jan 16, 2009.

1. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

So Im training with Carlos Rolyson now. Hes a Carlson Gracie black belt and a 7th dan. When I saw him roll and looked him up I knew this was the guy I had to train under. He has a hell of a BJJ pedigre and when I found out he was a 2nd Dan in Judo I was sold.

[​IMG]

The guys brazilian as fuck. Hes like 47 and has been doing BJJ since he was 7 years old. Opened his first school when he was 18. Super nice guy. The gym is also relatively cheap for what you get. He has a morning, afternoon and night class m - f and they are all 2 hours long. He also has MMA classes on saturday and sundays. Unlimited classes is 160 bucks.

So far Ive only been going to his morning and afternoon classes Monday - Friday. The dope thing about it is its just me and maybee one other guy in the mornings and afternoons so its bassically personal training on those days. I take like 5 - 8 classes a week now but Im going to try and fit in 11 - 13 classes starting next week haha.

Im loving it. overtraining ftw

2. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Lucky bastard

3. Tonster MBA

Tonster MBA OT'r of the Year 2013 OT Supporter

Only real backbelts can do backflips.....

can he do a backflip?

CAN HE???

CAN HE!!!!!!!!!!!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

4. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

5. THE LIOG

THE LIOG EVVVVVVVVEERRYYOONNNNNNNE EEEEE

sounds awesome, gi or no gi?

6. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

dude getting semi private lessons from a BB = :bowdown:

good luck man

7. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

both but he doesnt let you roll no gi untill he works with you for 2 - 3 months. because he wants your tech to be good beforehand.

yeah man

8. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

i'm actually sort of jealous. our BB is 5 hours from my school. :wtc:

9. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

satelite school?

10. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

yeah im not going to lie this guy is a find. I trained for a little while with Daniel before he was a tuf coach when he used to work at southflorida boxing and hes really good, I trained with troy waugh who is an occasional UFC Ref, I went to a marcelo garcia class just to say I did it and I did a month at FFA (they are epic failz) and I have to say by far the best teacher Ive ever seen at BJJ is this guy.

Its one thing to say your the best at this the best at that and all the above mentioned guys are bad ass at what they do but this guy has been teaching bjj for longer then I have been alive and teaching in and of itself is another craft.

The best part is some of these other schools will teach you a move and then they will teach you some more moves and you might not have the moves down but you are exposed to it. This guy will teach you 4 - 5 moves a week and you can come in 3 times that day and all you will be doing is those 4 - 5 moves. I went in m - thurs so far and all he has been covering is a guard pass > transitioning from side control to mount > arm bar from the mount > kimora from the mount and Upa escape.

These are all moves I already know but I have been drilling them non stop for 4 days so far and he corrects EVERY little thing. Like after today my technique was flawless but he told me I still have to do it tomorrow because the weeks not over. Then he told me if I ever run into a move I cant grasp in a week he will have me do it for another week. You dont move ahead until you grasp what you have been taught.

SEMI PRIVATE FTMFW.

11. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

yeah, i'm under Rogerio "Tatu" Taborda who is based in Scranton and i'm down in York. basically on opposite ends of the state. But i like the school that i'm at, both teachers are extremely nice and helping. I might be heading up to Scranton in October for a tournament, in which case i get to meet my first BJJ/MMA BB :noes:

12. dragomungus

dragomungus New Member

Sounds like a fucking awesome gig bro. Congrats. The most important part is you're so happy about it.

13. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

loving it I think the main prob I had with other bjj gyms was that they didnt like taking people down they would just pull guard. Every once and awhile you find the cool bjj gyms like this one where the instructor knows judo too. I tapped out a purple today twice but I think it was a combination of conditioning and "tricks" that only work once. I did a cartwheel pass to north south which caught him by suprise and then got a choke from there.

Gi is ruff though its harder to defend with the gi but its a lot more slow paced and you HAVE to have good technique when your rolling gi or your going to get power owned. I think Im going to be getting much better because with no gi you can kind of pull some shit but gi you cant because theres no such thing as slippery. I dont know how it will affect my sub game but I can see my def and positional control getting much better now.