GUN So I'm looking to buy a Yugo SKS online...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ludeykrus, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus New Member

And i've read on the FFL thing, but don't understand it. From what I hav eread, it seems like you would need the license if you intended to deal firearms. I just want to buy an SKS from a website such as AimSurplus or CenterFireSystems.com. What would I need to do to purchase it and have it shipped to me, and what would be involved timewise?

I am new to buying guns on the internet, and don't want to be caught surprised!

2. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

First, find an FFL in your area, be it a gun shop, pawn shop or even a private person with their FFL. They will give you a form that is signed that you will need to mail to the person or company you are buying from or they may do it themselves. When the seller has it in hand, they will then ship the firearm to the FFL in your area after any waiting periods. You will then have to go down and pay that person/business their fee to get it.

Try this to see where the nearest FFL is in your area.
    http://www.auctionarms.com/help/fflnetwork.cfm

Take into consideration when purchasing online...

The cost of the weapon online, FFL transfer fees from both the seller(if not included in the cost already) and the tranferer, taxes if any and shipping costs.

Depending on where you live and if you have local gunshops that are well stocked, You can and oftentimes end up paying more online for something that you could go down and buy locally. Just have to do some shopping and comparing.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2005
  3. RRTX

RRTX New Member

The rifle would have to be sent to a licensed dealer in your area and then they transfer it to you. They charge a fee to handle the transfer, normally around $25 . The only way it could be shipped direct to you is if you had a C&R FFL

4. Ukraine Train

Ukraine Train New Member

If I were you I'd just get a C&R, they're only like $30 for a couple years. This will keep you from having to find a transfer dealer and you can get dealer discounts at many places like midwayusa which sells a whole shit load of gun stuff

5. jsenright

jsenright Guest

Be advised that the SKS has a potential to slamfire with some kinds of American made 7.62x39 ammo.. like Winchester.. if they are still making it...

If you get an SKS make sure you only use 7.62x39 ammo that has a hard primer.. like Wolf..

That heavy floating firing pin is literally murder.

6. DamnedDirtyApe

DamnedDirtyApe New Member

There is a LOT of corrosive ammo out there that may have been shot through your sight-unseen Yugo and not properly cleaned afterwards. The gun you get may have a terrible bore. You can exchange it, etc., but it's more PITA and paperwork. Plus, those grenade-launcher thingys affect accuracy and zero repeatability. There's supposed to be some Yugos coming in without all that worthless grenade crap on them. You can't legally have grenades anyway, so what's the use?

Look in your local paper or search Google for gun shows in your area - they're practically everywhere in the U.S., and you'll find a good many Yugo & Romanian SKS's that will be MUCH cheaper, sold to you without all the bullshit federal paperwork, and open for your inspection. I have a Romanian and it's a tack driver out to 75 yards - longer than that they are all iffy in accuracy.

Dittos on the slam fire possibility. I use non-corrosive Wolf hollow points in mine without any problems at all after a couple of thousand rounds through it. I hear the new Cheetah ammo from Africa is good too, but I haven't seen any in Ohio yet.

7. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

I have shot thousands of rounds of american 7.62 with mine and not one problem. I have also had no problems with accuracy with the grenade launcher/bayonet, I have no problems hitting a paper plate at 150 yards with my Yugo.

You can also get dummy grenades cheap that work with the Yugo and are always a great way to get attention at the range :) buy one, don't worry about the stories and have a blast.