So, I'm looking for an ATA-6/IDE 2.5" hard drive

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ///M, Oct 31, 2007.

1. ///M

///M New Member

And have noticed that it's cheaper to buy an external drive and pop the drive out.

Anyone know what interface the WD Passport and Seagate FreeagentGO use inside the case? Thanks

2. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

interesting, but i need a sata 150 drive for my macbook

3. ///M

///M New Member

figured it out:

You don't have to disassemble the drive to determine the type, but you do have to open the retail package. After opening the package, there are some things you can look for to determine the type without disassembling the enclosure. The label on the back of the drive (not the package) can have various -00x numbers while the retail package will always have a "-001". If the label on the back of the enclosure says "-001", it's PATA. If it says -002, -003, -004, or -005, it is SATA. Only if "-001" appears on the back label of the drive will it contain PATA/IDE. Again: The package ALWAYS shows "-001", so there is currently no way to determine the internal drive type without opening the retail package and looking at the back label on the unit. "TN" or "BN" on the package is not an indicator of anything. You can use a WD diagnostic utility (thanks, kemichu) to reveal more information about the drive. If you have opened the retail package and have not discarded it, please contribute to the Wiki post below with the S/N from the package and the interface type you have determined. (simple ways to determine: -00x number on the product, WD diagnostic utility).

first and second posts from here: http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=618827

4. thebox

thebox New Member

5. ///M

///M New Member

quit stalking me, lol :run: