So I'm late but... Star Trek 2009

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Zero, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

i liked it. they did an awesome job casting. i nearly shit myself laughing when i saw Harold. :rofl:

2. Cakes488

Cakes488 New Member

Better late than never babydoll and it gives me an opportunity to say how much I love me some Star Trek (TOS only).

3. RockDaBoat

RockDaBoat New Member

I haven't caught it yet, either. I'll maybe pick it up this weekend.

4. CrowCaw

CrowCaw New Member

Saw it twice in theatres and just downloaded the dvdrip... This and watchman are deff going to be bought at christmas time

5. Shalashaska

Shalashaska Neither Enemy Nor Friend OT Supporter

not a fan of star trek but i did really like this one. i bought the blu-ray.

6. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

:werd: watchmen was fucking kill.

7. 1house3kids0vette

1house3kids0vette Member

Very well done. Lots of action and some in jokes for the original fans.

8. blackrat

blackrat OT Supporter

haven't bought it yet but I've been looking, it was sold out at two stores. Have been looking forward to it's release for awhile, and yeah I'm not a star trek fan either.

third trailer was a great example of how to get people in, the music was well chosen. the teaser with the welder working int eh shipyards was nicely done as well.

[y]iqXd6haFYqU[/y]

9. brock3931

brock3931 OT Supporter

Not a ST freak, so it was nice to finally have a Star Trek with some action to it. I feel like all the older stuff is really fucking boring. My boys also loved it, which is double win.

10. PromptCritical

PromptCritical Agent of Entropy

Some of them are hard to watch, but when they dump the moralizing, the utopia BS, and the technobabble/deus ex machina crap, there can be pure gold.

For movies, watch II, III, and IV because they are essentially a single story with three parts, then watch six because even though they're old, they can still kick ass, save the day and give you a few laughs with some very good writing. Avoid the first film (boring) and V (stupid).

While I liked some of the old series, I can't recall any particular episodes.

For Then Next Generation, it really starts to get good in the third season. Check out Best of Both worlds (deus ex machina fails epically), and Inner Light (excellent story and writing). Another good one off the top of my head is "I, Borg" which has a little moralizing but it's not preachy. Avoid all Q and Troi's mother episodes like the plague.

DS9 sucks until the Dominion war when it goes from episodic to season-long story arcs. Somehow, at this point, Starfleet found its balls.

Voyager and Enterprise are meh, but I never really got into them.

11. brock3931

brock3931 OT Supporter

Have watched all the movies, and most of TNG. I like the new movie because it isn't done like any of the old stuff. You have the characters being given their due respect, and then you have a kick ass ride. I say keep breaking the mold and make some sequels with this group of actors and J.J. at the helm.

12. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

DS9 was the best of the franchise. i hated everything else, especially the gay one with dr quantum leap (even though quantum leap was badass)

13. CrowCaw

CrowCaw New Member

Some of the best episodes are Q ones! :hsugh:

Agree on the Lwaxana Troi episodes though, there is one good one from DS9 with her and Odo stuck on a lift or something. Kinda emotional at the end :o

14. CrowCaw

CrowCaw New Member

And since we stopped posting specifically about the movie, check out this video on youtube...

[y]whXohEOL-S4[/y]

15. Surgie

Surgie Mein Führer, I can walk!

Generally agree with this assessment overall... although TNG isn't aging very well for me personally, there's still certain eps / mini-arcs that are good, but there were at least a few *extremely* bad episodes as well.

I thought Ent season 3 was really good, and again it was more of a season long arc instead of so episodic.

Granted I liked ENT a lot overall moreso than most people here seem to have, again mostly cause there wasn't the nauseatingly idealistic federation being shoved down your throat the entire time.