So I'm inheriting a G4

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Weazy, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Weazy

Weazy Active Member

G4 tower (the grey ones) It's free. Problem is, I need more RAM and a much larger hard drive. Where's the best place to get these things? Bear with me here, I've never had to install anything like this before. :greddy:

Is it pretty simple?

TIA

2. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

www.crucial.com to figure out the ram you need
    www.newegg.com to buy the ram (don't go cheap, get something with a name)

to figure out the harddrive that you need, go here: www.apple-history.com and find your system, then just match the harddrive specs and buy that as well.

installing the harddrive/ram is the same way you'd do it as if you're installing it on a pc...

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i suggest newegg.com, tigerdirect.com, or outpost.com for a hard drive

i think i've bought about 10 hard drives off of outpost over the past 2 years, they have really good return policies too. one time i bought a seagate hard drive and it died a few months later (which is rare), i went to seagate's sight to rma it, but it showed up as an oem drive. i contacted outpost and they said they would take it back no problem, they just wanted to know how much of a rebate i got on it and they would pay me the difference + tax/shipping. they sent out an rma label also.
    a couple of days later they got it and i got a credit on my credit card for the full amount, i guess they forgot about the $60 rebate i got

4. Weazy

Weazy Active Member

Awesome info. Thanks a lot!!!