A&P So I'm going to London

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Twiztid, May 12, 2009.

1. Twiztid

Twiztid What the FUCK is a samoflange?

in November and I'm planning on getting a DSLR here in a month or two.

I wrote this huge long post but then looked at and was like "Fuck, if this weren't my post, I wouldn't even read it." So here are the cliffs.

Getting a Nikon D80 (Have reasons for going Nikon, used shit from people I know)
    Need suggestions on if you could only take ONE lens on vacation what would it be.

I want to get a good lens and I know between now and then I will most likely only be able to save up for 1 and without any experience actually using a DSLR I don't know which one it should be. If there is anything else you might need to know before giving a suggestion just let me know.

Shit, still a super long post. Here is a picture of my kittah for your time.

[​IMG]

2. AmosBanks

AmosBanks New Member

Buy a backpack and take as much gear as you want. I went to Paris before I got my D80. I walked around all week with two Pentax 35mm, a Nikon 35mm and a APS Elph, and a 70-200 lens. People will tell you to leave the zoom at home, but who cares if you only use it three times all week? You're gonna look like a tourist anyway.

3. England

England New Member

Hopefully you make it back with all that gear. As a Londoner, I can sort of point you in the direction for good shots.

Do the eastend of london, canary wharf and surroundings, get yourself down to greenwich for the gmt observatory and surrounding gardens. Get out to kew gardens, kensington gardens, the london eye in central london and take some shots of the madness on oxford, bond and regent street

Have a nice trip

4. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

If you have the time and want to focus on photography, get a good wide angle (Tokina 11-16, 12-24, Sigma 10-20), a good/fast standard zoom (Tamron 28-75) and a good telephoto (Tamron 70-200, Sigma 70-200, Nikon 70-200, Nikon 80-200).

If you just want quality snapshots, get a Nikon 18-200 VR and call it a day.

When I go on vacation, I still bring my equipment and try to focus on photography, but in the end, I just want shots that I will remember my trip by. I don't care what others think about them nor do I wonder if the pros will say yay/nay to them.

5. Twiztid

Twiztid What the FUCK is a samoflange?

Awesome, thank you. I do want to get more into photography, but it will have to wait until after the trip, most saved money until then is going into pay for stuff on the trip. But the 18-200 sounds like a good idea, I don't have the skill or know how to be taking photos that are anything more than just pictures to remember the trip by, but I still want them to be nice and presentable to family and friends.

And thank you England on the tips on where to check out, printed it out and added it to our reference material for the trip.