SRS So I'm getting some serious seasonal depression this year

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by GlassUser, Jan 16, 2007.

1. GlassUser

GlassUser send an email not a pm OT Supporter

It seems that all sorts of annoying crap happens in mid-january, on top of the short days and creeping cold. It's pretty annoying, since my life is pretty much amazing by objective standards - I have a new job, new house, make plenty of money, my only debt is my house, I have friends and no enemies - and I still feel like it's all worthless and I need to drop it all and move on.

So come up with ideas to ward off SAD for me. I've already planned my garden and done what work I can, I have a project boat and project car, and a cat.

Oh and you guys thinking about suicide or other dumb things - it's just the weather. Promise yourself you'll wait till you see green leaves, then re-evaluate.

2. Wilddog

Wilddog OT Supporter

3. GlassUser

GlassUser send an email not a pm OT Supporter

Hmmm, might be good stuff for the right person, but it's not for me:
    The only rapidness in my heartbeat is when I exercise or get a start, and I never panic - I'm like the coolest head around. I know I'm going to die (life is a terminal condition), probably from a heart attack (family history of it, and I've noticed a minor flutter at times), and go senile not long before that (genius syndrome), I just accept it, such is life. And I dread going home lately. This doesnt seem to be targeted at me.

4. Wilddog

Wilddog OT Supporter

Im the same way as you. Alot of the people on that site are seriously suffering from depression and anxiety. Me, I just seem to never really be satisfied with anything, even though if I look at it from a teriary perspective, I have everything I want. Im in school, I work, I have a project car which I dreamt of doing ALL my life. It can be linked to some underlying ssue in someones life that they need to deal with. Im just trying to figure out what my issue is, although I have a strong feeling it may just be my way of thinking. Then again, different strokes for different folks

5. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

Hobbies are good. I know that once I picked up guitar and I had something to focus on besides the shit that happens in my life, i started feeling a lot better about myself. Of course I suck and everyone tells me I suck, but that's okay. I like how I play :)

Anywho, I think what you're experience is just sadness due to your environment. Don't look at your materialistic sense. I think what your problem is is that you have recieved what you've always wanted and it's not what you thought it was going to be. I know this phrase is overused, but money does not buy happiness. Maybe there is something lacking in your life?

How about you re-decor your house. Get some cool posters and little gizmos that will make your house more personalized. Maybe make some stuff with your hands... since it seems you are quite the handy man. :) Work on a house project that will temporarily satisfy yourself. Set goals for yourself: something to look forward to in each week. I do it all the time in short and long term.

Here's a nice example of what I'm doing right now:

Goals for the end of the week:
    - Finish the first 3 weeks of linear algebra course by Saturday
    - Learn what is going on in C++ and get a head start on the project
    - Talk to Multivariable Calculus teacher about course requirements
    - Buy books for classes
    - Finish Guitar Fingerpicking lesson on blues

Goals to reach before spring break
    - Work on a solo project of C++
    - Learn an Antoine Dufour Guitar Song (He's amazing. Youtube him)
    - Go to see Spam-A-Lot with family (Tickets are bought and everything's planned)

See, i have something to look forward to with my week, and my spring break. Of course, that could backfire >.< It has worked for my first semester of school, so why not this semseter :p

I don't know if I'm rambling anymore or not. If I did... well I'll edit it ^.^

Sorry >.<

6. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Well you seemed to have achieved to attain some goals that are socially approved, but the question would be how will these things fit into your life experience ? It doesn't really matter how "objectively" good one's life is if it fails to fulfill your own needs and goals because no matter how big these goals are, you won't feel really happy to have attained them.

Think about what matters to you, what is your conceptualization of the world and what place you can take in that worldview. Running on the cultural treadmill won't be as good as walking on your own path !