GUN So I'm getting prepared...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by seismic, Jul 17, 2009.

1. seismic

seismic New Member

I bought three 50 round boxes of Federal 9mm at Walmart, a box of foam earplugs and some $10 Smith and Wesson shooting glasses in preparation for the Glock I'm buying from AB13 tomorrow...

I got cheap glasses because I could use them as secondaries if I decide to upgrade (same with the earplugs). What other kinds of stuff do I need? I've got magazines and holsters covered.

I'm going out to the woods to shoot it next week. :drool:

2. seismic

seismic New Member

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Sounds good to me, don't worry about buying too much in the way of accessories for a while, shoot a lot and get decent at it then worry about the other stuff you might need. You'll probably go through all that ammo tomorrow. You might find you'll want ear muffs on top of your plugs, especially if you shoot indoors.

4. BLH

BLH Member

Need targets so you actually know where you are shooting.

5. seismic

seismic New Member

Any recommendations on earmuffs?

6. seismic

seismic New Member

What kind of targets? I've been to the range before and saw the targets that are supposed to tell you what you're doing wrong based on where the bullet lands, but I don't know what all the terms mean. :hs:

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

8. seismic

seismic New Member

Nice thread, thanks. I bought those brand earplugs. They're rated at 30db reduction. I think the store I bought them from (Big5) carried similar earmuffs, too. I thought because they were only about $20 that they wouldn't be "good" but it looks like they might be. :cool:

The first few times I went shooting, it went: plugs, then muffs, then plugs+muffs. I planned on doing both, I just wanted to get some advice before I bought a set of muffs because I figured they'd be a lot more expensive than ~$20.

9. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

you need alot more ammo.

10. JRucker2004

JRucker2004 New Member

for a good starting set of earmuffs, I recommend Peltor's model H10A. They offer very good noise reduction, but more importantly, they're the most comfortable head set I've ever worn. I also use them while driving tractor, and don't have any problems wearing them for 12 hours a day.
    They can be found for under $20 at places like amazon.com

11. Work on shooting well. Too many people just point the pistol at the target and pull the trigger and pepper the target with rounds. That doesn't really teach you anything. Consciously work on making each shot count for something.

12. seismic

seismic New Member

For my first trip? I'll be going out with maybe 10 other people and shooting some different guns at the same time. Not trying to make excuses for not having much ammo, just want to make sure I bring enough. :bigthumb:

13. seismic

seismic New Member

I've been learning a lot. My dad is an ex-marine, and one of my co-workers shoots competitively. I don't know what he shoots in, but he lives up here near Bellingham, and owns--what I've been told--are some nice guns. A Kimber 1911, AR15 with a holographic optic scope, etc.

Both of them told me to look at my sights and not my target, how to hold the gun, how to squeeze the trigger, etc. The only thing I'm not comfortable with so far is squaring off my stance. I naturally want to stand in a boxing stance with my left leg in front. I'm right handed. I feel unbalanced with both feet shoulder width apart.

14. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

uh yeah, you need alot more, especially if you're going with people. going to mooch off everyone's ammo?

15. seismic

seismic New Member

Guess I'll be making another trip to Walmart and praying they still have some in stock.

16. Where do you plan to shoot? My parents have a cabin near Mt.Baker and I shoot up there all the time. One thing I'll say is that if you really want to be able to concentrate and practice, go with only one or two people. Maybe it's just me, but I hate shooting with a bunch of people, I spend more time worrying about what everyone's doing (sweeping people, etc...) than actually shooting.

17. seismic

seismic New Member

It's somewhere near Mt. Baker. I've only been out there once and don't remember the exact area, but it's up WA542 (eastbound) just past Hwy 9 on government land. I think the area we go used to be a quarry because there's a big pit.

I've been out with these guys before and only one of them is the type of person that I'd "worry" about when it comes to sweeping, etc. He's constantly hounded, and I don't think he's invited this time. I was hoping to set up my own target and basically have that to myself for practice.

18. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

do yourself a favor and get some good electronic ear muffs.

19. AB13

AB13 New Member

Hey Seismic, for targets, go to walmart and buy a big bag of cheap paper plates. The real cheap ones that are as thin as a piece of paper the better. I bought a big bulk pack of something like 500 at Walmart for a couple of bucks, maybe costco, I don't remember.

And a Red or Black Sharpie and you are set. Don't waste your money on buying targets, this is even cheaper than printing your own and easier and a little more rigid so it doesn't go flapping in the wind. This is all I use when I go out back to my little shooting area. Easy to clean up too. Pack out what you pack in.

I agree, it would be ideal to go with less people, so it's actual time concentrating on developing your skills, rather than worrying about safety. More importantly, practice with someone that knows there way with a gun.

I'll go over a few things to get you started when you get here.

ab

20. H Dog 14

H Dog 14 New Member

plugs and some good peltor muffs rated at 30db should do the trick.

21. mstad

mstad New Member

As you've already been told, take more ammo. Take as much ammo as you can get your hands on. It's better to go home with leftover ammo than to run out of ammo in an hour(which is easy with 150 rounds) and still want to shoot more.

22. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

Walmart's Winchester White Box value packs are my bread and butter. $20 per 100 round box.

I'd get at least 1000 rounds, but wally world was limiting people to 6 boxes last time i checked.

I use PMC 9mm in a pinch, but that shit has significant flash. Doesn't matter during the day time of course.

Don't "waste" ammo. Everytime you shoot, try to learn something or improve something. When you're first starting out, you'll prob wanna work on trigger control and taming n00b flinching. You'll spend a LOT of time dry-firing. Be careful to not get a negligent discharge (ND) and be extremely paranoid about firearms safety.

23. AB13

AB13 New Member

I'm going to go out on a limb and go against the grain here. It's not always entirely necessary to bring a cache of ammo to practice and improve your marksmanship and proficiency with a pistol.

And in some cases, for a complete newb, could be counter productive. When you get in a mindset that your just hurling lead down range, you start doing/learnding/developing bad habits.

I've gone to the range and do 2-3 hour practices and shoot less than 100 rounds that have been as productive as my high round count sessions.

I've done my share of creating large piles of brass, but it's not always "necessary".

The important thing is to practice safely and correctly. Learn to concentrate on your shots rather than say "hey I've got 1k rounds, lets see how fast I can burn through them."

24. seismic

seismic New Member

There's part of me that would probably fire faster if I knew I had a ton of rounds, which would lead to me not paying too much attention to how I'm shooting.

The paper plates are a great idea and they should work perfectly with the portable pvc/wood target stands with a cardboard backplate that my friend put together.

We'll be out there for about 2 hours. I'm probably going to buy another box or two just so I have them in case he runs out as he's given me a few boxes of ammo in the past when I borrowed his guns.

25. seismic

seismic New Member

I bought Federal 9mm, 50 round boxes. They were $8.67/ea I think.

I've been shooting probably five or six times before this, and it seems like it only takes me about a dozen rounds to get over the flinch. :)