WEB so im getting fucked by kontera

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by drpepper, Jul 25, 2008.

1. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

i have it on my site tf2maps.net
    for 2 months, i have about 300 clicks.
    grand total? $16

thats about 5.3 cents per click.
    i just added a good banner and im getting about $.20 to .$25 per click. so im making about a buck and a half a day.

my question is, is there an alternative to kontera that pays well?
    also, tips for monetizing the site are also welcome.

2. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

So how are you getting fucked? Just a low pay out?

3. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

pretty much. and they are also withholding some cash i had from last year too.

4. dazmanultra

dazmanultra New Member

That's the reality of PPC advertising in certain markets. :dunno:

Some adverts and products (high mark-up/big profit/low marginal cost) lend themselves well to earning content publishers a lot of money. In web hosting for example, you're looking a $0.50-several dollars for a click.

But the site has to have some kind of a captive audience - hosting review sites for example, have a captive audience of people looking for hosting (they're basically qualified leads) so an advertiser is going to be willing to pay more for a click from such a site, rather than having their advert on a completely unrelated website, and a user clicking the advert "just to find out what it is".

5. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

yea good point.

6. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

why are they holding cash from last year? Why would you still be using them if that was the case?

Have you tried CPA stuff much yet?

7. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

well i used kontera for a few months last year. it was better than it is now. but until recenly i noticed money was missing from my account. i asked support, and they said it was partial amount from last years gains. apparently fraudulent clicks.

just now they are telling me this. thats why im looking at alternatives.
    ive looked in to getting come kind of game server affiliate thing going.

8. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

Wow, that sucks. I'd make them prove they were fraudulent clicks and how they came to that conclusion.

I don't know if there is a plugin for VB that does it or not but there may...but it would probably be better off if you were able to decide which keywords were linked and what they linked to. Kontera pays pretty crappy for every click but say you had an offer on words you select that pays $5 a lead...that could add up fast. Plus their popups can be kind of annoying lol. Anyway, see if you can find a plugin that will do a keyword replace throughout your forum. No idea if there are any but you might get lucky...or if you developed one you might be able to make some good money from it lol. Here is an example of one that works on wordpress to give you more of an idea what I mean: http://alinks.headzoo.com/

I'm pretty sure there is a plugin to also make a "bot" post after every new thread. So once someone starts a new thread there will be an automatic second post that contains whatever you want. You could add that and then have rotating 468 banner ads so it wouldn't be too obtrusive but still be noticeable.

You DEFINITELY should work on finding some game server hosting affiliate programs. "Regular" hosting affiliate commissions can be HUGE so I am sure there is some good money to be made referring game server leads as well. If you can't find a company that already has an affiliate program you might be able to get one to set one up on a less official basis. Or, if not that, might be able to talk a few providers into advertising on your forums. Hell, if you can't find a game server who will offer commissions you should start your own affiliate program ;).

As for contextual, it's always kind of hard on forums. Really, any kind of advertising can be tricky on forums when it comes down to it. It's hard to target and control content that will pull in targeted ads and many ad networks are leery of forums because you can't easily control all content and some of it might break their TOS and such.

I'd try out some CPA ads that are targeted and see how that goes. You might be able to get some decent leads for things like gamefly and maybe blockbuster online and such. And I'm sure there are other CPA offers that would fit. On top of that I'd consider having a column/skyscraper that is either amazon or ebay or some other online store that you list the best selling games, or related games, for people to buy. Odds are your traffic buys a decent amount of games and probably a good amount online so might as well get your cookies spread out there some. Those types don't usually pay the best but it does add up and you never know what else they may buy while your cookie is active...if they end up buying a car on ebay and have your cookie you get a nice commission.