So I'm getting back into running

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by KGB ate my bread, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KGB ate my bread

KGB ate my bread Made you look. OT Supporter

Yeah, the real fun side of exercise.

Anyways, I've started to do running because my daily cardio isn't doing nearlyh as much as I want, so yesterday I ran a mile and a half. Because I ran in my neighborhood and on concrete, I'm pretty sore. Also pretty sore because I just haven't run that much in a while.

Big question, would it be stupid to run again today being as sore as I am? My shin is bothering me, but I don't think it's shin splints. I used to run cross country and never got those.

I feel like I shouldn't really run because I'm sore, but Ir eally want to because I want to get established on this and make it a part of my daily routine.

2. KGB ate my bread

KGB ate my bread Made you look. OT Supporter

yeah, I'm thinking it's not worth risking being too sore to get into a rythym going. Also pretty dark already and a good bit cooler.

I think I'm just going to do a simple jog :hs:

3. SanchoPancho

SanchoPancho New Member

I started running about 4 weeks ago and got really bad pain in my legs, what I'm guessing are shin splints. I'm in the same boat as you in that I used to run years ago and never got any pain so it's weird to me that I do now. I haven't been running as much these past two weeks though because I've started hitting the gym again. When I do run now I still get the pain but it's not as bad. I'm hoping I'm not doing any damage by trying to run through the pain. :(

4. soccerboixyz

soccerboixyz Member

keep running, soreness goes away after about 5 minutes into a run.

5. Pringles

Pringles New Member

yes you should do it assuming it's only soreness. The edorphines will take care of that pain a couple mins into your run. You have good shoes right?

6. RobsMob

RobsMob Guest

Make sure your shoes are good

Stretch, stretch, stretch

Pay attention to your running form

Keep at it.

7. SanchoPancho

SanchoPancho New Member

Speaking of running form, how are you supposed to step? I would of thought you want to land on your heel and roll towards your toes to minimize impact but then I've read somewhere that your heels shouldn't even touch the floor. Anybody got insight on this?

8. Pachanga

Pachanga OT Supporter

Make sure you have new running shoes. You will only get so many miles out of them before they don't absorb impact well any more. My shins started getting sore and new shoes took care of everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.