MIL so I'm fresh out of navy boot camp, on leave...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ebtromba, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

and I think I have a freaking ear infection. its starting to get really painful.

I have no idea how the military health insurance or whatever system works. where do I go??? I believe the nearest va hospital is like 60 miles away in Houston.

Do I go to any clinic that takes tricare? or is that just family members/dependants.

basicly when I call up a bunch of local clinics tomorrow, what do I ask them in terms of treating active duty military? I.e., treating me and then billing the government with no expense to me. halp.

2. clever_username

clever_username Active Member

i had to go to the hospital once here when i was on leave, couldn't stop throwing up and crapping. anyways, i just handed them my ID and told them my command, and that's it. guess uncle sam got the bill.

3. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

call tricare and let them know....

I got a collections notice a few days ago from a clinic because I went after our post hospital closed. I figured tricare would handle everything

4. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Tricare will only pay for medical treatment from your Primary Care Manager (PCM). Your PCM can refer you to someone else, but this referral has to be in the system before the other medical facility requests payment.

Or you can go to the ER, Tricare will always pay for an ER visit no questions asked, this includes your dependants, if any.

I just went through this hell with my wife.

5. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Go to the ER, no worries. Believe me, the one to eight hours you spend in the ER, pales in comparison to fighting Tricare to pay for a doc visit and having the doc trying to collect the money out of you.

6. BadKat

BadKat GIVE ME WINE!!

:werd: I'm a Navy Wife. TRUST us, just go to the ER! I've been to the ER so many times with my 3 year old it's ridiculous. NEVER got a collections notice because I never had a bill. As the Active Duty Service Member, you are ALWAYS covered for ER visits.

If it really hurts as bad as you say, it's better to go get it looked at then to not, then suffer through the pain. Then when you get to A school, having to deal with Sick Call is a PITA, and by then you'll have a very nasty infection if you really do have an ear infection.

7. aim2kill

aim2kill New Member

these guys (and gal) are spot on. ER my friend, and its pretty worry free for you

8. crucial_fiction

crucial_fiction Active Member

:werd: ER while on leave or travel or whatever

9. clever_username

clever_username Active Member

yeah, i suppose i shoulda mentioned my visit was to the ER, as it was 1 in the morning.

10. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

go to the ER it will be taken care of