So I'm finally getting paid for a job I did in February...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Scoob_13, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

The relative of an executive of a company that I do work for had an emergency and I had to get their systems up next day within 15 hours - and it was a 3 hour drive. I agreed to be there in the morning (they called on Friday evening) and to get them up and running.

They also requested that I make suggestions regarding a new network for their new offices, new server, backup solutions, etc.

I was there, on time, was there for 9 hours, and drove back - in all, 15 hours of billable time at a considerable discount for my normal emergency rates, etc.

I submitted the invoice for those hours along with my bid and description of the solution the following Tuesday. 3 days went by, I emailed him, and he said he was still thinking about it.

And today, after 5 months and me just writing it off to never do business with this guys family ever again, I am told that he would send me a check at the end of the month - and that the offices he moved into were wired up - for free - by the telecom company of the area so that they could use his roof as a transmitter tower.

Oh well, at least I'm getting paid, finally :wiggle:

(Had to share, no one else understands or cares about having a non-paying client :o )

2. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

cool.

with the exception of the job i'm working on right now, i always get approval of the estimate before starting after i got stiffed by a church and had to eat ~$1000 because a 40' tall vinyl banner they had to have ASAP cost more than they expected.

3. Scoob_13

He knew my prices and the estimate of the time needed beforehand. There was no reason that he shouldn't have paid me. I probably could have walked up to the brother of the guy (the exec) and explained, and gotten cash right then and there. It's not as though either of them are poor.

That being said, I've since started to screen my clients and I now have a contract that basically contractually binds the clients into paying the time for travel and travel expenses. I didn't mind so much the wasting time there, but the 6 hours of driving + gas + wear/tear on the vehicle is more than I like to expense as a loss :o

4. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

Something I found that helps customers to pay fast is to offer them a discount if they pay within X days, then put the terms on the invoices so that the person in accounting who gets the invoice will see it and have a good reason to pay it quickly.

I found that "2% / 2 Net 15" works well. In case you aren't familiar with term lingo, that means "I'll give you a 2% Discount if you pay me within 2 days of receiving this invoice, but if you don't pay me within 15 days, there will be a 2% penalty tacked onto your amount due."

5. Scoob_13

Yeah, my bookkeeping program does that automatically. And yeah, I'm getting interest :mamoru: