GUN So I'm drinking and thinking of a more tactical approach to my traditional deer rifle

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Captain Haddock, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock Blistering Barnacles OT Supporter

I currently hunt with a Mauser converted to 30.06 and a 6x-20x scope. This setup is nice when I'm hunting in open areas. Most of my hunting however, is in thicker PA woods with shots typically being under 200 yards, most at 50-75.

I feel like totally changing my approach to the whole traditional deer rifle thing. Unfortunately, PA law states that you can not hunt with a semi auto, so that eliminates a lot of fun options.

My plan as it currently sits is to set up a 30-30 lever action rifle with an aimpoint on top. Maybe even put a larue flip mounted magnifier behind it. The red dot would be nice for quick site acquisition for running shots, and the magnifier could be flipped over for long distance shots. I like the idea of a lever for quick follow-up shots, and I hunt small game with a lever .22

I'm looking for a totally crazy approach so all ideas are welcome :x:

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Pics of your Mauser? I've got one in -06 I use as my deer rifle.

Instead of a aimpoint/magnifier, I think a more practical (and probably less expensive) choice would be a TR-21 or TR-24.

3. Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock Blistering Barnacles OT Supporter

[​IMG]
    I'm not sure when it was converted, or who put the sporter stock on it. I sometimes hunt with my C+Rs. Last weekend I brought my M44 :mamoru:

I have a DMS-1 on my AR, which is where the idea originally came from while sitting in the woods. I thought the magnifier could be handy for a quick flip, although turning a zoom dial wouldn't be a hindrance really

4. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Yeah, I'd try one of my Mosins but I don't want to load ammo for it and most of the shots in my area are 200+ yards. I belive an aimpoint + magnifier + two mounts would be a fair amount heavier than a standard 1-4x scope. If you wanna be able to switch scope powers quick, you can get a Cat Tail or MGMSwitchview, or have, for example, the Leupold Custom Shop do something like that for you.

Here's mine, it was built up from an FN post-war receiver in the 50s by Johnson Automatics. The Leupy scope I got for it this year cost about twice as much as the rifle did when it was new :rofl:
    [​IMG]

5. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

A lever gun with a aimpoint and a magnifier would be pretty stupid looking. I'm not even sure if you could get enough rail on top to do it.

Put a 1x4 variable power scope on it. Trijicon accupoint TR24 if you were baller. Could get away with one of those millet or burris scopes too if your on a budget (about $200).

What you want is a true 1x or 1.25x for the short range stuff. It's going to be as fast as an aimpoint or dot sight. Then you can crank it up to 4x if you have a longer shot. For 200 yards on something as big as a deer I could do just iron sights.

6. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Probably not tacti-cool, but if I was outfitting a levergun I'd go low powered scout setup, or a Leupy 1.5-5.

In the end, I'd still say fuck all that nonsense and build a flyweight with a 6x42. More range, more flexibility.

7. sp00n155

sp00n155 You underestimate the insignificance of my penis OT Supporter

[​IMG]

I'd rock it.

8. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

I'd probably toss the Eotech, otherwise that looks badass.

9. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

ibitshowsupinthenewmadmaxmovie