SRS so im curious

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Don Ganja, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Don Ganja

Don Ganja Drunk Driving > *

im confident with myself and my drug use, and i dont have any life problems stemming from it. but i am curious - are there places that dont use the 12 step program involving god? it seems extremely narrow minded that the largest addiction treatment centers such as AA or NA play only to those who accept christianity. where would someone like me, a non religious person, go to if i was in serious need of help?

2. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

The answer to your first question is no... and yes. 12 step programs are about spirituality, not religion.

We believe in a power greater than ourselves that we can draw on to help restore us to sanity (step 2). Most prefer to call it God, but it doesn't have to be. Your higher power can be an oak tree if want. Step 3 refers to God as we understood him.

Paradoxically it takes an open mind to comprehend a power greater than ourselves.

The book "Keep it Simple", a daily meditation for 12 step beginnings and renewal, never mentions God.
    Here is today's, October 19th:

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    - Seventeenth century proverb

We addicts used to be stubborn. Once we got an idea in our heads, we wouldn't change it. We didn't listen to other ideas. We almost seemed to say, "Don't tell me the facts. I've already made up my mind."
    But lately, some new ideas are making sense to us. We are starting to change our minds. Maybe we are good people, after all. Maybe we do deserve to be happy. Maybe other people can help us. Maybe our Higher Power does know best.
    We're not acting like fools any longer. We're learning to change our old ideas.

Prayer for the Day
    Higher Power, when I hear a better idea, help me change my mind.

Action for the Day
    When I hear or read a new idea today, I'll really think about it. If it fits, I'll try it.

From the book - Keep it Simple, October 19.

3. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Perhaps there are some programs that don't have a spiritual component but I don't know of any.

Keep in mind, you like so many people see God mentioned and you immediately assume it's the Christian God that is being referenced. The 3rd step says: Came to believe in God, AS WE UNDERSTAND HIM. That means that you can keep your own concept of a higher power you don't have to accept anyone elses concept.

That's one of the great things about AA is that you can believe however you want to believe, I can believe however I want to believe and our ideas can be completly different but we can both get and stay sober in AA. In fact, it freed me from having to try and convince people that my concept of God was the right one....I can just let the believe what they want and it's perfectly OK.

Many people, myself included, come into AA with an idea of a Christian God and that's their Higher Power but after being in AA they change their concepts into ideas that work for them and are more consistent with their beliefs.

Please don't let your fears about a Christian God being shoved down your throat keep you from AA or NA. Like I said before, you are free to develop your own concept of a Higher Power.

4. Don Ganja

Don Ganja Drunk Driving > *

my appologies. i was a little blunt with the christianity part. what im more interested in is those persons who are atheist or those who believe in a non interfering god. someone who realizes they are addicted and believe that sheer willpower is the only way to quit. are there programs out there that give support without any form of higher power?

5. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

No worries. I'm not offended by others beliefs, I was simply trying to help illuminate my experiences with AA and God. Keep in mind, you don't have to call your higher power god....in fact, many people use the group itself as their higher power....it's even in the AA BigBook. In this regard, a group IS a power greater than oneself. There is a whole chapter in the BB titled We Agnostics. No matter your beliefs, you can still find a place in the rooms of AA.

I don't know of a program that focuses just on willpower. In fact, next time you have dirareah (I'm prolly spelling that wrong) try to apply willpower to the solving of that problem and see how successful you are. It's likely that willpower will be as effective on solving the alcohol problem.

Adicts and Alcoholics can demonstrate amazing powers of self control, will, drive and determination in other areas of their lives. However, when dealing with alcohol, their willpower completly fails them.

I'm not saying that it will fail you or that this applies to everyone. I'm saying that there have been many examples of people that have tried to apply their will to Alcoholism and they can't understand why it's not working. Alcoholism is a subtle foe and in my case, and many others, willpower was no good whatsoever. Actually willpower was good because it helped me go to meetings when I really didn't want to but other then that, it wasn't responsible for me getting and staying sober.

6. Metal

Metal Active Member

Read the "Chapter to the Agnostic" in the Big Book - it can be found online.. I will post a link to it later, this should help you understand more.

7. Diesel Freak

Diesel Freak ♂♂ Closet Crew OT Supporter

We Agnostics is an excellent chapter.

http://www.recovery.org/aa/bigbook/ww/chapter_4.html

This still may not be what you're looking for though. Make the program work for you. Make your higher power the AA group, your fellow recoverees, OffTopic, use whatever you are comfortable asking for help from. You will find that as long as you're not in this alone, you will be a lot better off, and that is the whole premise of the program.

I agree with you. I'm not too keen on the antiquated language and the wording surrounding religion in the big book. I've found that the NA big book is a bit easier to read any apply to my recovery program than the AA big book. I think I prefer AA meetings though. NA meetings tend to trigger me a lot... not sure why.

8. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

in NA many of us understand a Higher Power to be "whatever it is that keeps us clean"

9. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

Only you, no one else can help yourself. No magical god or "higher power"

I'm insulted by your findings. I, being an atheist. If i need help, I will help myself and wish there are other who would help me without the religious bs