So im buyin a new car..

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Prelude_Guy, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Prelude_Guy

Prelude_Guy New Member

give me some good tips to know when i goto the dealership. i dun want them to scam me and rip me off, anything i got to keep in mind?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

know what you want before you go. Know MSRP and Invoice. Know your rebates and incentives.

Offer a fair amount, and stick to your guns. Invoice less rebates is a common offer, and one that many consider fair for both the dealership and the consumer. Many dealerships will accept this without argument, as well.

know your credit score before you go.

know what rate you can get before you go.

know what payment you can afford, and what terms you are comfortable with.

Just say "no" to the extras and warranties. They can all be purchased later on for less money.

If you have a trade, go online and get KBB value. Print it out. You want a good deal on theirs, so there won't be any room for them to hide any potential disequity, or to show you an inflated price on your trade... Know what it's actually worth, so you're not surprised at the desk. They will low-ball the trade, at first. Go with KBB Trade-In value. Don't expect more than book, however... Not unless you are okay paying more for theirs. You want "real" numbers on their vehicle, then you need to accept "real" numbers on yours.

With all of this in mind, be FRIENDLY with the sales person. Their job is to sell -- there's no need to be an ass to them, they won't be an ass to you. Find the stock # you like, and then make your offer. No reason this should be anything but a short, quick, simple, and easy process.