So I'm about to start watching Farscape...

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Joe_Cool, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

My friend gave me all the DVDs including the movie, and I figured I'd check it out now that I finished Firefly.

Tell me how great it is. :noes:

2. CrimsonVonDoom

CrimsonVonDoom There Cannot be Two Skies OT Supporter

It's fan-dam-tastic.
    The characters are seriously some of the best sci-fi characters you'll come across -- there is more to each of them than you would ever really think. And, what's even better, they're mostly all (everyone on Moya, at least... which is a character herself...) convicts, so they all have a sordid past. Except Crichton... he's not a convict. He just gets the crap beaten out of him for the whole first season before he becomes a complete badass.

Tied for the best part of the show, though, is the way they can mix comedy (not slapstick) in with serious drama. Also, they mix real science into the plot in a very easy to swallow way -- not the real science explanations of Aasimov, but they give you just enough explanation so you know what's going on without having to resort to lame Star Trek similies.

In my opinion, best sci-fi show ever made, if for no other reason than the characters were just that badass.

PS- Zan's backstory is probably the coolest, yet you learn the least about her. Don't be afraid to listen to any commentary on the DVDs about her.

EDIT: and in case you didn't know, the show was cancelled after season 4, hence the cliffhanger series finale. the outrage of such a shitty ending caused the studio to make the peacekeeper wars miniseries (what i assume you're calling the movie) to tie up all the loose ends. there are certain scenes in that miniseries that will just leave you going "damn..." in awe of how cool they managed to make it.

3. Joe_Cool

I'm about 1/3 of the way through the pilot. I guess it's a sort of Buck Rogers story? I like it so far. :coold:

4. CrimsonVonDoom

The wormhole isn't just a lame plot device to get him there, the rest of the series will flesh it out.

5. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

:bowdown: That plot line is great... the Scorpius obsession of the wormhole technology. The series limped until later in the series, but once everyone found their groove, it fuckin rocked.

6. Joe_Cool

I'm watching the one with Scorpius and the Aurora chair right now, and I like the show so far. It gets better?

7. CrimsonVonDoom

Much. Season 1 is ok, but it's a lot of Crichton getting used to his new "home." The following seasons are even better. I hope you like Scorpius.

Things to look forward to in a non-spoiler way:

wormholes
    scorpius
    teenage gray girls
    pilot being badass
    Talyn
    Talyn
    Talyn
    Jothi
    Talyn
    Crichton's new clothes
    More one liners than you can shake a stick at
    Lola
    Talyn
    "Dargo, tell them who their daddy is."
    Death
    Gunfire
    Scarrans

Seems to me that firefly and farscape, while very different in setting and execution, are similar in that they both mix serious drama, sci-fi, and non-over the top comedy. it's a winning formula if you can do it right. both of those shows arent afraid to make you laugh a little right before someone gets their eyes ripped out.

8. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

Great show! I like how the characters changed so much over the course of the show. From stand offish individual criminals to a fluid almost intuitive team. Especially D'Argo (sp?) and Crichton. Lt Crais was a GREAT character by the way, esp with Talyn. A lot of development after a bland start.
    Hated Stark though, threatened to ruin the show. :squint:

Looking at IMDB, I never realized Crais was also the voice of Pilot. :eek3:

9. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

You forgot "Naomi & Winona" on that list. :bowdown:
    Named them after The Judds, that always cracked me up. :rofl:

10. Joe_Cool

I can't decide if I'm annoyed by the Buck Rogers style pop-culture references and colloquialisms, or if I like them. I think they have Crichton do a little too much of that. "You know, John Wayne. You look like the set of Melrose Place. Take it easy, Norman Bates!" That kind of stuff.

Anyway, that's my only complaint so far. I'm putting in the last disc for season 1 as I type this. :cool:

11. CrimsonVonDoom

Crichton will throw in a lot of earth-references, but it's much more excusable when the series goes on for a couple reasons:
    1. you realize it's crichton's only link to his home- his memories. he has absolutely nothing else to connect him to earth.
    2. crichton becomes a pretty substantial badass. he doesnt become superhuman or anything stupid, but once he gets his space legs, so to speak, and realizes the nature of his environment, he becomes one hardcore adaptable mofo. he never becomes a soldier type or anything quite like that, he's just more like a professional survivor (like the rest of the crew). also, keep in mind, crichton isn't just some schmuck, he's a hell of a scientist and an astronaut... but above all, he's still human.

one more thing about the earth pop-culture references, though. there's one episode that is largely done like a roadrunner and coyote cartoon (with animated characters and all). at first, i didn't like it (as i suspect you won't either, joe), but you have to keep in mind that the cartoon segment is representing crichton's mind and thoughts. it seems perfectly logical that a guy as goofy as crichton would take such a bizarre situation as his and rationalize it by thinking of it as a roadrunner cartoon. it's like neo at the end of the matrix seeing the agents and the building in code, essentially, it just looks stupid because it's a cartoon.

12. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

I can see what you mean, but it isn't presented "campy" like on the old Buck Rogers. He does it I think because he's stubborn and wants to mold all that he's in, into what he knows. It's more like flipping the bird to that society a little instead of giving up what he knows. He likes it because it's something that HE knows that none of the OTHERS in that universe know. Keeps him from being the outsider if he makes everyone else the outsider I suppose. He's adaptable, doing a lot of the same things that are just "him", but in a totally different environment as if he's sometimes oblivious to the change. He's in his own world, like on Earth, but now out there. He's saying that he's still his own person, he doesn't HAVE to make himself just like everyone else. That's my take on it.

13. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

I like the harvey bit. That's shits great, about how he has to battle the bad guy not only in real life, but in his mind, because if he slips, it's game over. It show's him slipping before he learns to control his mind.

14. Joe_Cool

Actually, I hate Scorpius, like I'm supposed to. Which means he's a good villain that adds to the show. Who would have ever thought you could almost feel sorry for Crais? :ugh:

15. CrimsonVonDoom

You may even feel a little sorry for Scorpius one of these days when they explain him a little more. not enough to make you want to be his friend, but the guy has a couple things going for him:
    1. he's so fucking slick, he makes the cylons look like children when it comes to plans and forethought- it's easy to respect that
    2. he has a cause he's working toward- he's not entirely selfish, though he is entirely ruthless... again, you can respect him for that, and it might make you feel a little sorry for him
    3. he's simultaneously tough as nails and vulnerable-- no one likes the invincible villain, but you cant make him a wuss
    4. he's as much an outcast as anyone, if not more, for a few reasons-- this is what will make you sympathize with him the most

16. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

I preferred Scorpie as a full fledged bad guy, I didn't like the later use of him. Crais was a great character, wish they'd...well, never mind. No spoilers.

17. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

old scorpy is entirely dedicated to one cause and will do anything, stoop to any level to accomplish his personal goal. you see this later, and when murdering and killing and plans go wrong, he switches to a completely different tactic.

18. CrimsonVonDoom

exactly. but even with his new tactic (what could it be?! *gasp* no spoilers) you just know he'd stab a baby with a fork to get what he wants. he never stops being 100% asskicking bad, but you just might sympathize with him in that what he really wants is just out of reach and the cause is a fairly decent one.

scorpy is a mean mean man, but he isnt really out for himself. he's plenty evil, but he's willing to die for what he believes in... he just does his damndest to make sure he doesnt HAVE to die for it.

19. CrimsonVonDoom

yeah, that whole sex change operation... bad move by the writers...

just kidding

OR AM I?!

20. Joe_Cool

[​IMG]
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

21. CrimsonVonDoom

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

22. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

You do find out later that he has a decent motivation for his actions.

23. CrimsonVonDoom

babes.

24. Joe_Cool

Wow. Chiana is a frelling whore. I can't believe she's screwing D'Argo's son.

In for killing them both. :x:

Rigel: "Out of my way, slut! Freezer chamber. Young half-breed. Any of this getting you wet?" :bowdown:

25. Joe_Cool

Just finished watching The Peacekeeper Wars.

Fucking amazing ending to a great show. 10/10 for the series as a whole.