A&P So I'm about to buy my new camera

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by LowLikeWhoaF150, Mar 24, 2006.

1. And I don't know what lens to get for my first.. :hs:

I was thinking about the EF 50 f/1.4

or

the 17-85mm IS

and

I'm thinking about the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM

I know there's a huge difference in price but I cant figure out which one would benefit me the best. I'd be taking alot of pictures at car shows, both indoor and out. Not just pictures of stationary cars but moving models and moving cars. Also 1 on 1 model shoots, and I will probably be getting some lights soon and setup a small studio.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2006
  2. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

I don't even bother putting on my thrifty fifty at indoor car shows. You'll need something wider. For your first lense, I'd suggest the 17-85 IS. My Tamron is barely wide enough at 28mm on a 1.6x body.

3. I'm on my way to work now.

Can you guys drop me some notes with suggestions and such.

I was just about to order on dell.com, my shopping cart =

Canon 30D ----$1,399
    17-85 ---------$599
    BG-E2 ---------$170

Total was like $2160 or something. I still need to get a flash, extra batteries, and charger also. I have plenty of memory and a tripod.

Is there a cheaper place besides dell.com? I was supposed to go to B&H today but the trip got cancelled due to work :hs:

thanks in advance for all the tips! :bigthumb:

4. Derrict

5. I knew someone was going to say that. What is the big deal about the battery grip. Do people think it's cool or something?? All I know is that I take many vertical shots and the battery grip would be very helpful, not to mention having a 2 battery energy span vs 1. It's a no brainer especially at car shows where you don't want to be changing your battery every other hour.

And if I were to get a 20d I think I would rather buy something new so I will have warranty and I will know that someone hasn't been clicking away tons of pics. And knowing my luck the first time I went to use the camera it'd need to be sent away for repairs. And besides. Yea a used 20D is $900, well a brand new one is only like $1200 after shipping. So might as well spend the extra $300 and save soem sleep. Then, shit the 30d is only $200-$300 more than a new 20d. Why not?!

6. Derrict

I'm at the same venues you are so I know what type of gear I need and what I don't need. I can generally go 3 hours // 600 shots before I need to swap out a battery. Wow, I can spend 20 seconds to change out my battery.

Having the extra shutter release button isn't anything special for some of us. If it's worth the $170, go for it. It'll help you take better shots than Tomash.

If you do some research on the reliability of Canon or Nikon DSLRs, you'll find that it's a very small percent that run into any issues. Most of the bodies can handle 50k + actuations without any issues.

7. Derrict

Sounds about right since the street price is suppose to be $1300-1400 with the basic kit lense.

8. u going to sema??

9. fuck it I'm just getting this lens for now :mamoru:

15 mm F2.8 EX Diagonal Fisheye Wide Lens

The "EX" part threw me off I thought it was the lens mounting type but it says it's an EF mount. so :dunno:
    By the time the stuff I order gets here it should be paid off then it's time to buy some more stuff :hs:

10. Derrict

Yeah. I'm not sure which date, yet. I'll wait and see which day has the better weather. I have off the Monday after, also, to go through pics and do a writeup (if I cover the event).

11. NauticaX

NauticaX OT Supporter

I disagree. IMO battery grip helps a lot in balancing the camera when using heavier lens. Also helps when taking pictures vertically. But then again some people don't like the extra added weight.

Just get the 17-55 f/2.8 IS and call it a day :) Actually is that lens even out yet?

12. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

if you type in psmar in the search box at b&h you will find the 30d for $50 less. does Dell already have the 30d in stock?

13. MrGone

MrGone New Member

There was that Dell deal for a 20D Body for $960 or so, not sure if it worked though :dunno:

The batteries last a long time aswell. I like the battery grips for the balance with bigger lenses and vertical shooting, the additional capacity is more of a bonus to me.

On an APS-C camera, the 50mm is kind of hard for indoor car shows, on a full frame it works great.

IMHO the 24-70 would be a great pick. Personally I spend a lot of time shooting in the 17-24mm range, but you could always pick up a 10-22mm, 15mm fish, or something similiar and the 24-70.

The other thing with Fisheyes on crop cameras is you really lose a lot of the effect. Nikon's 10.5mm F/2.8 is a sweet solution, but I haven't seen one used on a Canon yet. The Sigma 8mm works aswell but :sad2:

14. I tried the $960 20D Dell Deal and the woman kept telling me that I could only use one % discount at a time. Either the 10% off or the 20% off, not both. The total ended up coming to 1060 or plus free shipping. So I figured why not spend the extra $300 and get a newer model. :dunno:

Nah I wouldn't use the 50mm lens for car shows, I can imagine that'd be pretty tough.

Yea I was really going to get the 24-70 but the $1300 price tag had my head spinning! :) My friend also suggested this lens but he suggested that I start off with a cheap lens so I can get used to the new camera. But I don't want to waste $$ on a mediocre lens only to sell it a few months down the road. And I know once I have the 24-70 I'll probably never take it off. I'll probably just get it next month when I pay off my cc bill.

:hs: I hope I don't lose the fisheye effect!! That's the main reason I got the lens :uh:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2006
  15. :hsugh: Ship date April 17th... :wtc: Good thing I still have my sony

16. Derrict

17. dtfromep

dtfromep New Member

Battery grip is definitely worth its weight in gold. It really does balance out the camera nicely & provides lots of extra photos.

Good decision!

18. thanks derrict but it's too late now :wiggle: