MIL So I'm a former US Marine, and...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TMh2QkPU, Sep 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TMh2QkPU

TMh2QkPU Guest

I know this may sound crazy, but I'm thinking of reenlisting. I really miss the military lifestyle... It's hard to explain.

My concerns:
    1. I would like to avoid being shipped to Iraq and/or Afghanistan, if at all possible. I especially object to the war in Iraq. What can I do about this, if anything?
    2. I am currently on medication for ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder). I have to be taking my medicine on a regular basis (it's almost 100% suppressed by my meds). I know this will probably be a disqualifying factor. Any way around it?

I would prefer to stay in USMC, but would be willing to consider other military branches... any advice would be appreciated :x:

2. TMh2QkPU

TMh2QkPU Guest

BTW, I was a 3043 (Supply Admin) in USMC... In civilian life I have been working mostly in the IT field. I'm NOT a US citizen, but a Permanent Resident, so I know that will limit my choices quite a bit too... :hs:

3. borazhasleftthebuilding

borazhasleftthebuilding Lets Party OT Supporter

4. TMh2QkPU

TMh2QkPU Guest

:hsugh:

5. NPH

NPH Guest

why did you get out in the first place?

6. C5Load

C5Load OT Resident UCLA fanatic

#2 is going to be your big problem. I've heard of waivers for people having taken meds for ADD in the past, but I really doubt you'll have any luck with still being on the meds.

7. TMh2QkPU

TMh2QkPU Guest

I finished my contract. I left with the highest reenlistment code, if I remember correctly. It was an Honorable Discharge. I simply wanted to go on and try myself in civilian life.

I was enlisted in '93 in DEP, then shipped to boot camp in August '94 and served 4 years of Active Duty until July '98. I then spent 3 yrs in Inactive Reserve and got out in '01 as a LCpl (E-3).

I know you would be wondering why only an E-3. It's a bit difficult to explain, but there was a personal issue between me and a certain NCO in my chain of command. He tried unsuccessfully to harrass me (we both had the highest scores on basically all intelligence tests, but for some reason he always felt it necessary to find reasons to feel superior to me), however, he did succeed with marking me as "unpromotable" and gave me ridiculously low pros and cons. I am hoping that my records could be cleaned up now, since that is really all that it really was (a personal issue between me and said NCO).

:hs:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2005
  8. TMh2QkPU

TMh2QkPU Guest

I believe that I could eventually get off my meds once I am back in the military lifestyle. I think that having been used to military life, I had problems adjusting to civilian life (which is nowhere near as organized as military life is).

Would it be possible to reenlist if I felt that once I am back in familiar military way of life, I would be able to recover enough from my condition to no longer depend on meds? :hs:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2005
  9. TMh2QkPU

TMh2QkPU Guest

Also, currently I'm 29, and I believe that I have only a very limited amount of time to decide if I want to reenlist. However, I think there's a definite need for more enlisted people due to the wars going on, and I think that even with somewhat disqualifying factors I have now, I have a good chance of getting waivers, right? :hs:

10. TMh2QkPU

TMh2QkPU Guest

I don't want to ask any recruiters directly yet, since I know that they will most likely not be very honest with me. I want to have a good strategy before I call them. Also, I'm not sure whether to try to stay in USMC, or if I should try a different branch. Ideally, I would want to stay a US Marine :o

11. TMh2QkPU

TMh2QkPU Guest

If anybody can help me with this, perhaps I could somehow return the favor too. For example, if you are a recruiter and you honestly feel you can help me out, maybe I can help you with your quota by reenlisting through you. All I ask is that you guys be honest with me, and help me find a win-win situation for all of us :hs:

12. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

If you object to the war stay out of the military. We do not need another person going AWOL and crying to the media when they come up on orders for Iraq/Afghanistan. People like you in the military seriously damages morale. Being in the military means being willing to fight for your country regardless of personal beliefs. Between the meds and the objection to the war in Iraq and Afghanistan you sound like someone that needs to stay as far away from the military as possible. Especially the Marine Corps. Those guys have it hard enough with the Optempo they are dealing with. They don't need a guy like you in their unit.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2005
  13. C5Load

it really works only one way, as i understand it... if you're in the military, you're not on meds... you're not weaning yourself off of them.. you're off of them before you join.

14. TMh2QkPU

TMh2QkPU Guest

I have never went AWOL, and I wouldn't now. I simply expressed a preference. I know that it may not sound very acceptable to some, but again... that is simply a preference. I realize that being in the military one has to be basically ready for anything, and yes, if I was given orders to go to Iraq and/or Afghanistan, I'd go, because this is part of the deal. However, having had served in the military, I realize that personnel in some branches and MOS's are less likely to be stationed in certain places than others.

I have served honorably before, and I will do no less now.

Now can we get over the stereotyping, and discuss possible options? :)

15. TMh2QkPU

TMh2QkPU Guest

The situation is that I believe the whole reason I had to be put on said meds is due to a difficulty adjusting to civilian life. In order for me to be able to get off of them I believe I would first have to be placed back into the environment where I felt comfortable in, which is in the military, on active duty.

16. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

please stay out of the military at all costs.

17. TMh2QkPU

TMh2QkPU Guest

Why? If you think that I should stay out, then explain it, please.

18. DaRkPhAnToM

the last thing we need is someone who has ADD and is against the war to fuck shit up and get good men killed

19. C5Load

it just doesn't work that way, sorry. you're either off them, or not in the military.

20. TMh2QkPU

TMh2QkPU Guest

1. I have never said I was against the war outright. I simply said that I had a preference to not be actively involved unless I had no other choice. So please understand, I am not refusing to serve my duty.
    2. I love the organization of military life. There's less of a gray area that clearly exists in the civilian life. This is why I want to come back.
    3. If push came to shove, I can hold my own in combat. I am a Rifle Expert and I have been trained not only in everything most US Marines are trained in (infantry skill wise), but I have also been a part of the battallion machinegun and NBC team. I have always done well in hand to hand combat, and as far as my fighting abilities are, I am more than ready and capable.
    4. As far as my MOS went, I have been in the top 10% of all my classes. I have always excelled at everything I had to do in the military.

My question to you, sir... Would you rather have me next to you in a foxhole, knowing that I can definitely hold my own, or would you rather me not, because you think that just because someone has a preference that it will always be exclusive?

21. DaRkPhAnToM

i would not want you within 20 clicks of me in the combat zone

22. TMh2QkPU

TMh2QkPU Guest

Thank you. My next question is... Assuming the worst possible outcome, where I am unable to fully recover without medication... What would happen? What should I expect? :hs:

23. TMh2QkPU

TMh2QkPU Guest

Why? Are you afraid of me? ;)

24. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Yes. If your lack of concentration due to not being able to accept your position in a war you don't support doesn't get my killed, your severe ADD will.

25. DaRkPhAnToM

yes because if i left you to watch you sector of fire and your ADD came back or you didnt take the pills that day you could not be watching it and get people killed like i said above

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.