so if someone wants as much muscle gain as possible

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by KingGargantuan, Sep 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

and cardiovascular/endurance ability as possible...

what kind of workout plan would that someone do?

any cross country runners on OTF&N?

2. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

how do you incorporate the running into weight workouts?

and how would you go about working up to 3 miles, maybe per day, when I can barely run 1 mile continueously(sp)?

I can do 1 mile in just under 8 minutes but that's a mix of running-jogging-walking fast.

I'd like to be able to run a mile solid without any walking, for starters.

i'd also like to be able to do this 3.4 mile trail near my house without walking.

3. armond

armond New Member

Takes time to go from walking to running. I started out only being able to walk/run a 1 mile course. That was about a month ago, since then I can now run a 2 mile course with some energy to spare. I finish the 2 mile run between 14:15 and 14:45 depending on how my ankle feels.

I lift every other day and do cardio on the days I do not lift.

Sunday: Rest
    Monday: Chest/Bis
    Tuesday: Run
    Wednesday: Back/Tris
    Thursday: Run
    Friday: Legs/Shoulders/Core
    Saturday: Run

That is all I do.

4. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

cool

yea i was trying to run/walk a mile every day but now i'm back in the gym doing this, so far:

monday
    1. legs
    2. stair climber - 5 minutes at level 7 (or whatever @ 70steps per minute is)

tuesday
    stair climber - 10 minutes at 60 per minute

wednesday
    1. back
    2. stair climber - 5 minutes at level 70per minute

thursday
    ststair climber - 10 minutes at 60 per minute

friday
    1. chest
    2. stair climber - 5 minutes at level 70per minute

saturday and sunday are misc days - running, hiking with weights on my back, etc.

edit: on the "off days", tuesday and wednesday, i try to squeeze in some accessory work (curls, military press, rear flys, etc)

5. Lurker111

Lurker111 New Member

If I start running again I know my pitiful squat is going to become even more pitiful.

If you run on a treadmill it is easy to build up to 3 miles (just boring). A track and stop watch would do as well.

Just run 1 mile for a week. Then run at a slower pace for 1.5 miles the following week. Run again for 1.5miles but try to increase the pace to be equivalent to your 1 mile pace. Keep on increasing it like that. Much of running long distance is being able to overcome the discomfort that you will feel from running. If you can run for more than 30 minutes non-stop your body will begin to release chemicals which bond to the same sites as cannibinoids (where THC binds) and at that point you will probably be able to keep on running as long as the pace isn't too brisk.

You should be able to train up to run 3 miles within 2 months or less. It will just take you time to run 3 miles fast. Also, having muscle mass makes running more difficult and I always shrink quite fast whenever I start running 3-4 miles a day 2-3 times a week.

6. liquidPoop

liquidPoop .........................

I ran cross country in HS. What we started with was just finding a 3 mile run in our neighborhood (you can use your car trip odo. to figure it out) and just gettin out there and doin it every day. start off with just trying to JOG the whole thing with out stopping. stop and catch your breath if you need but get right back goin. time yourself each time (maybe even at different spots in course so you can judge pace) and work on beating time each run. after that just work on pacing and practice and you'll be able to actually RUN 3 miles. I dont know how out of shape you are but I suggest just jumpin into 3 mile runs, I think it builds endurance faster than working up from 1 mile runs.

I think I remember avg to above avg times for 3 mile cross country was about 17-18mins, FYI

7. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

here is what i am doing this week:

Saturday: 10 mile cross country Hike w/ 60 pound ruck. 3 hours

Sunday: sleep

Monday:
    AM: 2 miles for time followed by some thai pad rounds ~30 minutes followed by about 15 minutes of conditioning

PM: Grappling 4 minutes rounds, 2 minute conditioning rounds in between~1.5 hours

Tues: WeightLifting Oly Complexes and pressing movements

Wed: Same as Monday

Thursday: weightlifting Posterior Chain development still working on muscle endurance

Friday Same as Mond

Saturday: Ruck Hike

8. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

oh and KingGargantuan go check out www.crossfit.com for a very good blend of lifting and conditioning

9. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

yea i think my biggest problem is pacing. I can do 8 minute mile, which i thought was decent, but it's a mix or running and walking.

10. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

neat site!

I'll have to spend more time over there and read what they're all about, exercises etc.

11. milani

milani "The best activities for your health are pumping a

Here is an excerpt from a thread I started a while back on CP and running that might shed some light...

12. armond

armond New Member

I ran two miles last night. First one in 6:32 and the second in 7:03, I had to stop to tie my shoes on the second one. I am trying to get both my miles down and reach an overall goal of about 13:00 flat. Getting better everytime.

Tonight I go for a light job with some buds for about a mile. Gives me time to relax, I ran hard as hell last night.

13. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

yea I might go later tonite.

I skipped this mornings workout for a number of reasons but tonite should be ok.

14. liquidPoop

liquidPoop .........................

well from what I remember there was no qualifying time. a bunch of high schools get together. each school has 6 runners (for each, varsity, jv, etc.). run the race. top 10-20 runners get medals, add up times of team runners with 1 extra runner for ties and you get a team score. top 3 teams get trophies. At the district race top runners/schools move on to regionals,state,etc.

(all races were 5k, about 3 miles)
    now as for a 17-18min avg time...I just use that as a general reference. I ran about those times and I was usually within top 20-50 (about 100-200 runners?). Definately not good enough to win anything but better or equal to most people runnin varsity HS in my area. (and our team sucked :mamoru: ) I just said that cause I ran around that time and while i was decently athletic I was no star and barely above avg speed. it is probably a little fast for "avg" i guess, maybe add a couple mins

its been a few years so i dont recall exact numbers :dunno:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.