So if it came down to wharfedale or jbl for home audio . . . .

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DeeVoc, Jan 29, 2003.

1. DeeVoc

DeeVoc Heh.

What would you do? I work at BB and the discount is too good to refuse, looking to put together some decent not mindblowing. Elitist pricks can lecture me as long as they pick one of the two at the end of the post.

2. 04

04 Guest

Uh, which do you prefer the sound of? How much money do you want to spend? What kind of music do you listen to? How loud do you like to listen? Do you want sound quality or a speaker that has lots of bass?

The easiest way to tell if you like a speaker or not, is listen to the ones you are thinking about, and buy the one that sounds good to you. And when you listen, bring in several of your own cds, and listen for a long time.

3. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

:o i've always had a thing for wharfedale, but like 867-5309 said you should listen to them and choose for yourself.

4. DeeVoc

DeeVoc Heh.

yeah, looks like my situation got narrowed down since apparently best buy on carries wharfedale's online and not in store, which means I can't buy them with my discount. The jbl's I liked were alot bigger than I expected, but I did enjoy the sound alot more than anything else there (yamaha, sony, , bose) which isn't saying all that much.

5. nt

nt Guest

personally, i'd buy something used on audiogon instead.

6. 04

04 Guest

JBL's home stuff is mostly garbage these days if you ask me. My cousin has 5 of their speakers, a pair of towers with 2 10" woofers, the cabinets are thin, highly resonant, and one of the fronts has come loose! He has the more expensive orange colored woofer cone ones in the rear, and those are a bit better. If you are going to go with JBL, I would suggest getting the line with the orange colored woofer cones, they seem to be better quality. I also preferred the way the sounded.

7. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

JBL has gone downhill since the HLS series (which I honestly believe was one of the best deals in speakers). I had the opportunity to meet with one of Harman Audio's transducer engineers who was working on the Revel line of top-end home theater speakers, and he recommended the HLS as the speakers he used despite having access to just about anything he wanted. I picked up a set at H/K's outlet for something like $160 for the pair and they impressed the hell out of me, for being a simple bookshelf 2-way (they used a "sort-of-horn-loaded" tweeter on them). I listened to LOTS of JBL speakers after these and no matter what they cost, they paled in comparison.

8. 04

04 Guest

:(

Yeah, thats true.

JBL pro stuff is still really nice though, their actual speaker drivers are top notch.

9. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Yeah, absolutely. My home sub is based on one of the old GTi 15" subwoofers for car audio, which if you look at it is nearly identical to the drivers they used for the Revel home theater subs and likewise the pro audio stuff. That sub is just incredible, I've had it for like 5 years in different installs and it just keeps pounding. They don't make anything remotely comparable anymore. I think the diversification of Harman brands into "high, middle, low" etc. has really hurt them on the whole because most consumers will never touch a Mark Levinson or Revel product... they just see the shit they sell at Circuit City.

10. graycardinal

graycardinal Hmmm...

JBL is great. I have JBL speakers built into my Compaq laptop, and they're really good for laptop speakers. So therefore, you should by the JBLs. :)

11. 04

04 Guest

:p

12. DeeVoc

DeeVoc Heh.

I think I've made my decision, the S412P II's seemed to kick everything elses ass when I demo'd stuff the other day. I actually wasted some time looking at some bose stuff and I don't see why everyone has such a hard on for them :dunno:.

So anyways here are the stats:
    4-Way, 12-Inch Floorstanding Speaker With 200-Watt Powered Woofer Section

Amplifier Power (RMS): 200-Watt powered woofer section
    • Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power: 250 Watts
    • Impedance: 8 Ohms
    • Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m): 92dB
    • Frequency Response (–3dB): 32Hz – 20kHz
    • Crossover Frequency(ies): 250Hz, 700Hz, 3500Hz
    • High-Frequency Driver: 1" Pure-titanium dome with EOS™ waveguide
    • Midrange Driver: 4" PolyPlas™ cone
    • Mid-bass Driver: 6" PolyPlas™ cone
    • Low-Frequency Driver: 12" PolyPlas™ cone
    • Dimensions
    (H x W x D): 44" x 14-3/4" x 16-1/16" (17" with grille)
    (1118mm x 375mm x 408mm (432mm with grille))
    • Weight: 100 lb (45.5kg)
    • MSRP US$: $849.99 (not sure what I'll be paying with my discount, but standard markup is aroung 45%ish, so I'm guessing
    $550 if I'm lucky) fuck I gotta start saving :o

13. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

:eek: Don't you get it??? It's like... they're so SMALL... but they, like... fill the WHOLE ROOM with SOUND!! :eek:

It's AMAZING.