GUN So if I did end up with an AR-10....

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by P07r0457, Jan 14, 2008.

1. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I am considering something in the .308win ballpark to fill my want for a semi-auto "sniper" style rifle. But since I already have my "every day" black rifle, I have no need to get one 'quickly' and I can exercise the luxury of building it over a short period of time.

However, part of my desire to do this is to have a rifle that I can truely call "my own". As a result, I have little to no interest having someone elses brand on my lower. Does anyone know a cost-effective way to have a blank lower custom-engraved to my specifications. I would want my own logo, and all my own writing.

The problem that I think I'll run into is that AR-10's are just so damn hard to come by when compared to AR-15's.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Furthermore, where would you recommend to get the other components, such as barrel, uppers, etc.

If I don't end up going this route I'll end up with a FAL or some G3 clone, methinks.

2. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

3. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

4. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

G3 clone, more reliable.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

that's really why I wasn't seriously considering the AR10 :hs:

6. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

7. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

If you buy a ready made 100% receiver it is going to have to have a serial number on it and I would assume for that to be of any use there would have be be a mark to identify the manufacturer to trace it.

before you go out and buy one you may wish to search the BATF and see what the required markings are, to see if buying a "blank" is worth it.

The other option is to buy an 80% receiver, which according to the BATF is just a piece of metal and I believe when you finish it you do not have to mark it (check the legality before you do it) however aside from the normal build and tools required you would have to actually finish machining the receiver before it could be used.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I do not have the skills or tools to mill an AR receiver. I wish I did. But I do not. It will have to be purchased and done through FFL transfer. If they mark the manu, I would want it on the trigger well so it's not visible.

I know lots of places do "custom" serial numbers. And there was that site for ARs that didn't seem to put manu marks on their receivers...

I would still have a logo and serial number -- but I would want them to be mine -- not someone elses.