So I'd like to buy a 250GB HDD for my MBP...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DjShiznit, Oct 26, 2007.

1. DjShiznit

DjShiznit Representing Deutschland, yah.

Has anyone here done this upgrade yet? Any recomendations on a good HDD? Newegg carries a few 250GB models by Samsung, Western Digital and Hitachi. I've had good luck with WD 3.5" HDD's in the past, but no experience with their notebook drives. I've also located disassembly instructions. Looks a little involving, but confident I can pull it off (I repaired PC laptops for ~7 yrs). Any recomendations or suggestions?

2. DjShiznit

Yeah it does look somewhat involving, but I've serviced many Compaq, HP, IBM, Dell, Gateway and Apple (G3/G4 iBook and Powerbook) laptops (motherboard/logic board replacement, CD/DVD/HDD, etc). It's too bad they couldn't have designed the MBP's to be as easily upgraded as the regular MBs. I've already upgraded to 2GB RAM, and it wasn't so bad. Granted, the RAM install wasn't nearly as involved as a HDD replacement :hs:

3. Emanon

Emanon Active Member

That scared you off? It is VERY easy! Upgraded mine with the WD Scorpio.

Tips I can give is don't unhook the keyboard. Isn't needed. Just lean it back out of the way.

Tape the screws to the part of the instructions that tell you to take them out so you don't get them mixed up.

Pull the BT module off very slowly so you can just restick it back on the new drive.

When you put the keyboard back on.....it does take a good bit of force to snap the front edge back together.

4. DjShiznit

Well just pulled the trigger on a WD 250GB drive and an external USB2 enclosure to transfer the data from my 80GB drive. Came to under $190 after shipping from newegg, wish me luck :o

5. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

6. Emanon

Emanon Active Member

Just take your time and don't rush it and you will be fine.

Ohhhh and don't forget to partition your new drive correctly when you get it. I forgot and had to repartition my drive for GUI to install Leopard.

7. DjShiznit

Are you talking in regards to Bootcamp? I plan on setting aside ~20GB or so. All I'd use Windows for is maybe an occasional video game (I'm not much of a gamer in the first place, but to have the option of running Windows could come in handy, someday). :hs: