SRS So, I will now document my road to recovery from Smoking cigarettes here.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Killgunner, May 23, 2005.

1. Killgunner

Killgunner OT Supporter

At approximatly 11:00 PM on 05-17-05 I quit smoking.

I am now on day 6 and I am not doing too great... I havn't smoked at all in the last 6 days but I can't get my mind off of them.... I smoked Marlboro Reds since I was 15 years old and I have DREAMS about smoking... in which I am paniced and running from something... and I smoke in the dream and everything is ok again. I don't know how natural that is... I think my main problem is I'm in the military... and on a Naval ship right now... and there is absolutely nothing to do on this ship... besides my job... which doesn't involve me doing much at all... so I have a LOT of downtime... in which otherwise I would be smoking and have been doing for the past 6 months of this boat ride... It REALLY sucks for me right now... :wtcd:

Anyone with similiar experiences?

2. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

good job, keep it up, maybe you'll inspire me

3. johnny

johnny shit, baby

hehe...good luck.

I quit cold turkey about 6 years ago now. Hopefully it'll take for you right away.

I know exactly what you mean about the dreams. There was a point where I was even hallucinating while awake, seeing giant cig butts out of the corners of my eyes :eek3:

Six days is a long time...for me that was honestly the worst of it. Don't give up!

4. johnny

johnny shit, baby

How's day 8 going?

:rofl: Better not be smokin'

5. Bean

Bean Guest

after day 3, your body is physically done with the nicotine withdrawels, after week one, you should be experiencing less psychological problems...then week two brings less, then it hits hard again at week three, then you should be in the clear. I've quit so many times, and I've talked to many people that have quit, and it's roughly the same for all of them.

I'm smoking now, I never could get past the psych problems during week one. But I'm ready to quit soon. again. and this time I know what to expect thoroughly.

6. Killgunner

Killgunner OT Supporter

So yea... I failed... /thread :wtc:

7. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Its ok, give it a try again

8. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

Speaking from what I've heard family members say who quit, you need to be right in the mind. It's not just quitting for the sake of quitting, you need a real good fuckign reason. My uncle quit cold turkey when his wife was preggers. He didn't want to smoke around her, and she was trying to quit too.
    You need a reason.

9. johnny

johnny shit, baby

:dunno: nothing I can add here, except to agree.

10. {WBK}Blood_Lust

{WBK}Blood_Lust New Member

i smoked for 13 years and tried to quit more times than i could count and i know everyone is about the same about quiting smoking. It's hard as hell to do, but it's been 3 years for me and i wouldn't even consider doing it again, it was hard as hell for 6 months then it got easier every day. Don't listen to people who say it takes a week or two to get past it, it takes months to break the habit, the addiction is the easy part for most, it was for me anyway, it's the habit of having a cig in your hand and just the action of smoking that's hard to get away from. Good luck if you try again, it'd be the best thing you've done for yourself, save $ and live longer. Good luck bro, no magic to get it done, just months of climbing the walls.

11. R K e 1 C A

R K e 1 C A New Member

i completly agree w/the above...i'm offically on my 1st month of quitting again...started back up after moving to DownTown L.A.

quitting takes motivation in your mind to truly want to quit

i'd recommend finding something to take the place of cigs...gum, chewing on something that looks like a cig, whatever it takes

get rid of everything involving smoking, zippos, lighters, matches, etc. etc.

the 1st time i quit, i did it w/someone else and that really helped

always look at the positives as there are many to not smoking

12. coma

coma New Member

I've last lit up about 20+ years ago and I STILL have dreams about smoking...didn't know that this was a common experience! They (dreams)aren't based on panic, but something along the line of the pleasurable aspects.