GUN So I went to the range the other day..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by copperhead035, Jun 17, 2006.

1. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

With a cop I know from a local racing message board. It was the first time I was able to shoot my Rock Island 1911, so I was pretty happy. I only had a half hour to shoot since I had to be at work, and I had 200 rounds of UMC to dispose of, so I was trying to go through pretty quickly.

To all the RIA haters - the first shot I ever put through my brand new gun was a perfect bullseye, and it had been several months since i pulled a trigger. Out of those 200 rounds, I had one FTF, that was the only problem.

I will say that the sights kinda suck, especially with my needing a new pair of glasses, they are just too small. I see now why so many people like night sights.

As for my shooting, I was trying to get myself into better habits, so my accuracy was kind of sporadic, plus my trying to go fast didnt help. Whenever I was back in my old habits, I would shoot consistantly down and to the left. When I remembered to use an isosceles (sp?) stance and the right grip, I was staying pretty well in the middle. The cop I was shooting with was impressed, as I was doing better than the CCW holder and the army guy that we were also with.

All in all, I'm very pleased with my Rock Island. I've rented Kimbers and Springfields that jammed more often, and this thing is far more accurate than I am. Right now, the only thing that I would consider changing are the sights, I like the feel of the trigger and I got zero hammer bite.

2. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

1 out of 200 is pretty bad in my books, but as long as you're happy with your gun, that's all that really matters.

3. most factory 1911 sights suck, period. :dunno:

4. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

Any idea what caused the FTF? How do you like it aside from the sights?

5. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

I'm not sure what happened. The round went part way in, it looked like it was sitting on the feed ramp. I gave it a tap and it didn't chamber it, so I dropped the mag and racked it out. The casing had some sort of scratch on the top of it, I couldn't figure out what happened to cause it.

Other than that, I was very pleased. It feels like a great shooter.

6. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

The gun is still breaking in, so I wouldn't worry about the FTF yet. 1911's that are built tight can take a while to fully break in, my Les Baer took about 500 rounds, now it runs perfectly.

7. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

I expected as much. I wish I would have had a couple of hours to spend running the thing. Oh well, I'm going to try and take it out again within the next few weeks, I just have a lot of stuff going on right now so time is tight.