so I went to the gym yesterday

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Catch, Aug 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catch

Catch welcome to the society of the inescapable

and I can't hold a pencil. typing this right now is slightly uncomfortable. my forearms are killing me.

does anyone here go to a rock gym regularly? some guys there are so lanky and skinny looking... then you see them bouldering and like... every goddamn muscle in their forearms/back striates as some of them literally swing around like goddamn apes. it was crazy. :eek3:

2. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

those r fun... this one i went to had a rope ladder and it was fun climbing that thing with using just arms

3. sniper0423

sniper0423 Member

the one piece of advice that i have for you is to use your legs to get you up the wall, not your arms. also work on grip strength if at all possible. also a good way to start is bouldering instead of long routes, as it will teach you more about form than anything else. also, watch the more experienced climbers and figure out how they work through similar problems you may be coming up against.

have you been climbing specific routes or just picking you way up the wall grabbing anything/everything possible? if so, what difficulty are you mainly working on?

on a side note, at my local rock gym, they have a vertical rope and 2 or 3 times up this with mostly arms at the end of a session makes for some amazing results in forearm strength.

cliffs: climb with legs, watch the more experienced, and work on form.

enjoy and climb on!

4. snigg

snigg New Member

what is the typical cost for something like this? ive been wanting to give this a try recently but im unsure of how much it would me cost me. thanks guys.

5. kidbv2

kidbv2 New Member

I really enjoy the rock gym. Sometimes I feel like a chump though - I total over 1200 lbs. but can't climb as well as some of these really skinny bastards.

What sniper said: USE YOUR LEGS. Sometimes if I get stuck I just need to consciously straighten my leg instead of keeping it bent.

It's weird the day after having my forearms fried worse than after deadlifts...

6. Catch

i bouldered, and did that climbing where you have a belayer. I mostly did routes, i didn't invent my own stuff. the colors go from green to black, green being easiest, and I mostly did the greens, yellows and whites. We did play a game of add on, and between three of us would start a route, pick two with our hand, then the following person would follow and add 2 of their own.

all in all it was a lot of fun, my forearms still hurt :wtc:

7. Catch

back seemed pretty important... being able to do mad pullups would be a big plus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.