GUN So I went to the gunshow and came home with toy.v.tellmehowwellIdid

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jeepilot, Feb 16, 2008.

1. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

Don't have pics up yet, as I'm out of town, but I went to a gunshow in Columbia, MO. CMMG was there, and they had their "gunshow specials" similar to what's on their website.

Well after fondling AR after AR, I finally picked one (they had about 50 or so on display), I got a full I guess "heavy-medium" contour bbl, M4, 1/9 twist, A3 style w/detachable carry handle, with collapsable stock. DPMS lower, single 30 rnd mag and sling for $650. I figured that that was about the same as online after the transfer fees and shipping for their "bargin bin" stuff.

So tell me how I did OT-WMD? I felt that it was a good deal, so I bought it.

Also got 5 30rnd mags for $55, and 500 rnds of silverbear .223 for 123. Is the steel case stuff ok to shoot out of this? other than being dirty as hell, I've heard it's ok.

oh, and m4.jpg.

edit: pics now below

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  2. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

I'd say you did well and I am thoroughly jealous.

3. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Sounds like a pretty kickass deal to me. I wouldn't worry about shooting the steel stuff through it but YMMV.

4. Slick26

What does YMMV stand for again? :confused: :rofl:
    I forgetted.

5. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

well awesome. They had a lot of different ones there, different bbls, and some with rails for $100 more, some with free floated handguards, some with 20". It was a pretty solid mix of things, and they're all new never fired, but have some "handling wear", I have a minor scuff, but not scratch on my lower.

Anyone know how good the dpms lowers are? they had doublestar lowers, but hadn't heard of them as much.

6. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

"your mileage may vary" as I've come to understand it. But i'm not too worried about shooting steel out of it. It's a beater gun, and not going to be shooting 1000 yd matches.

7. Slick26

:bigthumb: ok

8. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

I am surprised someone hasnt said hte ammo is crap and should be sent to them immediately :big grin:

9. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

Not a bad deal, but DPMS isnt exactly known for their quality...

What upper is on it? Is it a full DPMS rifle? Look for markings on the barrel and see what it says.

Oh, and that ammo is shit, but it'll work. :mamoru:

10. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They had double star lowers, and at a different table they had complete oly A2s for $599, but I've heard Olympic Arms isn't the best either.

Going to shoot it later today, i'll get back with a range report.

11. SkiMax

SkiMax OT Supporter

damn i know nothing about guns but have been wanting an AR lately. is there someplace that I can learn about these things? From what i can tell there is a ton of different manufacturers and options...

12. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

i just bought one from their online bargain bin the other day

chrome lined 16" M4 flat top with 4 rail free float for $700, and i bought a detachable carry handle on ebay for 27 bucks

i actually placed the order for a non-chrome lined 16" M4 flat top for 570 and then right after that they put up the chrome lined 16" for 625 and 4 rail free float upgrade for 75 so i emailed them to have them change the order to that

13. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

These were basically CMMG's gunshow bargain bins. They came with detachable handle and a mag, and I got hand select, so after transfer and shipping, it would have been about the same price. I may convince my dad to get one too, and just go up and pick it up at their shop to avoid transfer and shipping fees.

I still don't know who made the upper, there's no markings or anything on the bbl, or upper assembly. Any way to tell?

14. Jinkle

Jinkle Habs/Vikings > *

ar15.com

15. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

Not too shabby.

Apparently some jackass fired off a round inside at the gunshow here today :ugh2:

16. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

there should be some kind of markings on the barrel. usually in front of the front sights, or maybe under the handguards.

17. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

And here they are telling me they ran out of M4-style 16" barrels for my online-ordered bargain bin..... Not to mention for $585 shipped and a $35 FFL fee I get no magazine or detachable carry handle.

This is my jealousy speaking, especially since I'm less than 2hrs away. :sadwavey: You got a good deal!

18. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Damn, nice deal.

19. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I've taken the handguards off and can't find anything anywhere on the barrel showing who made it. The fsb has a "f" marking and the upper receiver has a keyhole marking on the right side.

I'll probably get another one, or one for my dad at some point. Instead of getting it transferred though, I may just go and pick it up in Fayette, MO. They may allow hand select that way. Don't know the next gunshow they're going to go to, but I imagine they'll have a display with a similar deal set up.

20. acoop101

acoop101 New Member

Ok
    the ammo is shit and should be sent to me a poor college student. Since shit is better than nothing.:naughty::x:

21. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I'm a poor grad student, which is why i bought it in the first place. I'm seriously debating getting a case of something brass cased and a reloading setup.

22. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

ND?

How in the world? Around here every gun is checked at the door and is disabled wish a zip tie :mamoru: same goes for every gun on display at the show.