GUN So I went out shooting today

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JaimeZX, Jan 29, 2007.

1. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Which I suppose isn't anything special, but I had a good time. Good way to blow $50 in 2 hours. :rofl:

Out of curiosity, I "bench tested" my 1911. Just used some sandbags and did my best to aim at the same place every shot.

15 yards, 15 shots (1" squares on the target):

[​IMG]

We also had some fun doing a walk & shoot thing. (Outdoor range and we were the only people there.)

We walked towards or away from or crossing the target, kneeling for reloads as though taking cover. Anywhere from 3 - 10 yards I suppose.
    This is several magazines. My buddy also ran a few mags of 9mm through on the same target. The difference is easy to see.

[​IMG]

Obviously the groupings are not as good as if we were standing still and aiming. We were just point-shooting
    since actually lining up the sights seemed to be almost impossible while walking. John tried running once
    but gave up without firing a shot. :rofl: I suggested I take his Sig and do a double-fisted diving Chow Yun-Fat maneuver.

But I didn't. :rofl:

After I ran through 3 boxes of Blazer and a box of WWB, I opened up the "Mega 250 Pack" of Remington.

I do not like this ammo.

I got a FTE *no kidding* every-other shot. After 3 mags of that I got tired of it. Remind me not to buy anymore of that crap.
    Actually I was wondering to myself if maybe it was just that I had fired 200 rounds and there was some fouling
    in the gun at that point? But then I fired off 14 Hydra-Shoks without any problems whatsoever. :dunno:

[​IMG]

I'm no Annie Oakley, but if this were a malefactor he'd be having a bad day. :hsd:
    I shoulda printed out some pics of Osama. :mamoru:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  2. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Sounds like a fun day. A horrible day shooting is better than about any other day in my book. Yesterday I shot ~450 rounds thru my Hi Power and PM9 during a DH2/Low Light course. Also got to break in my new E2E.

As to shooting while moving, it just takes practice. You can use your sights, actually you always should. Not a target sight picture, but a "flash" sight picture. Front sight over target? Press....

3. JaimeZX

I was going for speed with acceptable accuracy rather than accuracy without care for speed. So like you said, "flash" sight pictures. Every shot went on the paper except one which was just *barely* off the left side, but centered vertically. :hs:

4. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

I just noticed you are from Abilene, you are near the mecca of all gun stores, CDNN.

5. JaimeZX

REALLY? Details, man. :eek:

6. 2L Bunny

Sounds good, but for me I'd much rather go for accuracy now and then let speed come later. It's easier to go slow and catch bad habits before they become engrained. Crawl, walk, run.

Heck, in the last 2 years I've shot over 3000 rounds in organized training courses (prob closer to 5000). And for whatever reason I started flinching Saturday morning. No idea why, I was shooting a Hi Power 9mm, it shoots like a pussy cat. But I caught it and fixed it before it ruined my day.

7. JaimeZX

:cool: Nice group 49. I have a nice group like that I shot at 7 yards. :hs:

I need to get out more.

Obviously the "start slow and get faster" technique is excellent for nearly all sports and I am in favor of it. Most of my shooting today was slow-and-accurate. But we had a little fun towards the end. :big grin:

8. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

yeah my aim has been shit lately i am still trying to get a handle on my new gun :hs:

i keep pulling to the lower left

9. 2L Bunny

The problem is packing up isn't an option when you're paying for a class that won't be offered again for 6-12 months. I simply doubled up the ear protection and focused more than normal until I stopped.

10. JaimeZX

:werd: I'm not sure the sandbags did my gun justice. :hs:

In other news, I had a hard time with the trigger on his Sig. I didn't like how much creep there was in it. 'Course I don't much care for DA in the first place. :sad2:

11. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

I've never had any trouble with Remington UMC in 9mm that wasn't easily traceable to operator error. WWB is also decent.

12. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Our range has actual official targets of Osama holding an AK. Pretty awesome standing there blasting his brains out. Too bad it's just paper. :coolugh:

13. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

I can only speak for myself. Roughly one thousand UMC 9mm rounds without incident (other than about 4 failures to load, my fault) through my G17 is the extent of my sample depth.

14. JaimeZX

Well, I'd be interested in knowing what I'm doing wrong to make everything I've tried function flawlessly in my gun except this stuff. :dunno: