GUN So I went out for some milk...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by xpinchx, Jul 29, 2008.

1. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

[but I got a G19c instead.]
    $440 OTD, came with 3 mags. Sorry for teh blurry pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(I wasn't behind the camera, don't worry.)
    [​IMG]

I have a lot of questions. When I pull the slide back it only locks when I have the 15 round magazine in (the other two are 15+2, all factory.) The only difference I see is on the front the two that don't lock the slide back have a little metal rectangle on the front above the mag release groove thing.

[​IMG]

Also it's pretty hard to load these magazines. As I load it I hear the spring in there creaking a lot, is that an issue? And also the bullets don't really line up with the round # indicators on the back, is that common? Also, should I get rid of the +2 extensions? :o I don't like the way they look.

And this question is mainly for yar/AB - can I get extended controls (magazine release and slide release) and still compete in factory IDPA?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but anyway welcome your new glock crew member. :wavey:

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

you could probably strip down the mags and oil them a little :dunno: just keep loading and unloading, that will break them in :bigthumb:

3. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

theres nothing wrong with oiling springs :dunno: im not talking about dousing them, but a light coat doesnt hurt :o

4. hsracer201

hsracer201 New Member

you got a good deal. congratulations. the 19 is an awesome pistol. :)

5. AB13

AB13 New Member

yeah, keep the mags clean. The reason why you would not want oil in there is because oil clumps up dirt in there, which will cause your magazine to bind. A very very light oil is okay on the springs, but really not necessary. If your springs begin to rust, that means they are too old. Mag springs should be swapped out. For cheap glock mags, I just toss them out and get new mags.

Unfortunately, compensated guns are not IDPA legal. You would have to get a new slide and barrel. If you swap out the barrel, you might be legal to shoot USPSA production.

Depending on your local club, they may let you shoot it for score, but they definitely won't let you pass a level 3 match with that though and you definitely can't get classification with it.

The key to extended controls are getting the OEM Glock 34/35 extended controls, and yes, you will be legal in IDPA.

The springs creak because they are new. They get easier as they are compressed after repeated use. You could probably benefit from a Uplula pistol mag loader. Or get tougher thumbs. :)

I believe the reason why you aren't able to slide lock the other mags may be because when you added the +2, the springs were not swapped out. The added length, and stock pads means at full extend (empty mag) there is not enough tension on the follower to engage the slide stop.

6. xpinchx

:wtc:

7. sprite

sprite Active Member

I'd have to lookup the ruling but I believe that the "C" models are Production legal if you swap in a non-ported barrel. Otherwise you're in Open.

8. xpinchx

That's good to know, at least barrels aren't too expensive.

9. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:eek4: you've just crossed the line, mister

10. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

At the local club level they would probably let you shoot the gun as is in IPSC/USPSA in whatever class you declared. Worst case just shoot it in open class and forget your placement. Just go out there and have fun. You can still see your overall to see where you would of stacked up if you shot production, etc.

You can get a G19 barrel for cheap. I'll check the shop to see if there is a stock on lying somewhere and give you a good price on it.

The mags are fine. They just need to be broken in. some mags just don't line up with the witness holes, most don't actually. I like the factory glock mag loader (we call them sissy loaders). Anyway they work well and if I don't have one I'd break my thumb. If you shoot as much as I do, shoot big mags like I do, and use good springs then yeah bring on the sissy loader.

11. xpinchx

Yeah I have the factory loader, took some getting used to though because I'm used to my LULA for my AK. Let me know on that G19 barrel I'll buy one off you for sure. :coold:

Oh yeah, any recommendations on a cheapish OWB holster/mag holster? And if I end up getting a barrel from you I need 2 factory floor plates as well. :o

12. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

try googling bladetech + glock 19 + holster.

http://www.blade-tech.com/Injection-Molded-Belt-Holster-Glock-19-23-pr-927.html

Any kydex holster is going to be good (with the exception of Fobus which is complete garbage). Galico, unkle mikes, side armor, comp tac, etc. I like the bladetech with the tech lock attachment. Real easy to get on and off the belt. Don't get a paddle holster. They shift too much.

13. WooleyBooger

WooleyBooger OT Supporter

Next damn time you get ready to toss Glock mags...you let me know...

14. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Those are the most recent generation magazines. The notch is cut for the ambi-mag release.

15. xpinchx

Ok so I fucked around with my magazines for a while switching out base plates, followers, springs, etc. and the only conclusion I've found is that the older gen magazine I have (that holds the slide back when it's empty) is somehow magical. I tried putting the whole spring and baseplate in one of the others and it didn't lock back. Put the +2 and a different follower in the old one and it locks back. :dunno: What the fuck? I did notice with the two that weren't holding the slide back that if I pull the trigger while the slide is all the way back, it will lock as I slide it forward. So maybe functionally they do have a side hold open but for some reason it won't do it only on an empty magazine without messing with the trigger. :dunno: Do any of your guys' mags do this?

Only other difference is the followers on the two that don't work have the #6 on them, and the one that does hold the slide open has the #5. I'm guessing generation numbers on the magazines, but :dunno:.

16. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

glock is coming out with models with an ambi mag release?????

this would be awesome

17. xpinchx

After taking the slide off I played with the magazines some more and it must be the +2 extensions, I can see the follower isn't pushing up on the slide release like it should. I guess I just need some factory floor plates. I'd get new springs but I could really give two craps for an extra 2 rounds per magazine, I don't like the way the +2 floor plate looks or feels. Maybe when it's time for me to get my CPL I'll pick up a G17 mag.

18. AB13

AB13 New Member

Glock has already released models with the Ambi, it's called the 21SF.

19. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

any word on a 17 or 34 ambi?

20. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

440 otd is a pretty good price, local shop?

21. xpinchx

Yeah. Guy ordered it for a customer. Customer put 100 rounds through it and decided he didn't like it so he traded it back in. I happened to call that day and he had just gotten it back in, he said if I came in that day he'd give me just a little over cost on it. So I came in and paid cash and bought some overpriced ammo off of him. :p Also said I'd take my SO in there to buy her shotgun, old man was cool as fuck.

22. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

Good choice.

23. xpinchx

:h5: