GUN So I went out for schnitzel and...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Buzz Killington, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

fuck, how do I finish this?

If anyone cares, I bought what I thought was a laminated K98, maybe Yugo or Russian capture.

Well, it's a K98 all right.

However, it has most waffen stamps scrubbed and the front sight is from Czech VZ-24 :eek3: Hint 1.

OK, it's a Czech capture. Interesting. Used against the Czechs and then taken by them and pointed right back west at the Krauts.

But there's more.

After WWII the Hashemite monarchy of Iraq imported large numbers of Mausers from post-war Europe where they were cheap. Mostly K98s and various Czech Brnos apparently. My K98 has two Iraqi acceptance marks, one on the receiver and one on the barrel :eek3::eek3: It also has a few electropenciled pieces - the bolt body and the safety tab (the Iraqis were real mixmasters).

I can't decipher the remaining waffen stamps to see if I can figure out where it was originally made in Germany, but in any event, I have a German K98, captured by Czechs, used by them, sold to Iraqis, used for God knows what, and then by some miracle it ended up back in the US a Century "K98."

:eek3:

Pics in a day or so, I stripped it apart and cleaned it today (no refinishing this one). I will probably throw this on Gunbroker so some Mauser freak can complete his collection (and so I can buy an AK).

2. t1h

t1h Guest

how's the bore in the barrel? i bet its pitted to hell after seeing iraqi service. i want to get one of the all nazi marks intact K98's from SOG but they are $250.

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Wouldn't wait to long they're not going to get any cheaper in the future :hs:

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Mmmm c&r's....i'm trying to make a couple leather slings from my k31 come back to life tonight.

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This seems to be the final story:

Russian capture German K98, sold to Iraqis at some point and partially rebuilt by them with their stock of loose junk including the Czech BRNO VZ24 sight hood and Russian capture bolt parts.

I'm thinking I will at least triple my money on this one, perhaps more :o

And yes, the stock is hungry for oil or wax but since this has some real collectability I am not going to touch it.