GUN So I went gun shopping today....

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by texchef, Nov 8, 2003.

1. texchef

texchef Guest

I been lurking in The Arsenal for a few weeks looking for the kind of advice handed out and I finally went and started my search. Here is what I found. My opinion only, take it for what its worth and comment accordingly.

Glock- Not what I expected. Felt bulky in my hand and seemed block-ish. Good build quality and felt solid otherwise. They all felt bulky including the compacts and sub compacts.

Beretta 92- Very nice. Comfortable, solid, attractive looking weapon. The only downside was the fact that it is a little big for conceal/carry. Definately a nice gun to have and not too expensive at $550 in 9mm.

SA 1911- Again nice. I thought the grip was a little thin compared to the others. Out of my price range.

SA XD-40 sub compact- I have to say that this one dissapointed me the most. It felt solid and fit my hand well with one exception...it was friggin heavy for a sub-compact. I was very let down by the weight even after all the hype I have been reading on it.

Walther P99- Wow. I loved the grip, the weight and the overall features of this gun. Very impressive and the price was nice at $530.

Sig P229 9mm- Nice gun but Sig loves their stuff and the price shows it.

Didn'e even look at HK due to my budget I am trying to stay in. There is my day in a nutshell.

2. itchiban

itchiban Guest

:cool: Nice to see more people in here.

You should try and find a range that has rental guns and shoot the models you are looking at. Just to add another factor into your decision. good luck! :bigthumb:

3. texchef

texchef Guest

Funny you say that. The place I went shopping was a combo gun range. With the exception of the SIG and the 1911 they had them available and I shot all of them. The Glock seemed to have the least amount of recoil which leads me to believe that I was shooting the compressed model. I think this was intentional by the range so they can sell more Glocks. Other than that it was hard to tell which one I liked better by shooting it because it still came down to comfort in which case the Beretta and the Walther P99 were tied.

4. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

i don't know why people think XD's and glocks feel so different. if you look at their frames and grips, the XD is nearly an exact copy of the glock's shape, angles, and especially the checking pattern in the grip. there is a VERY slight difference in curvature on the backstrap of the XD, but it's hardly anything. the difference is the weight and balance of the two. XD's are shorter by just about 1/4", but heavier by a few ounces. their frames are thicker than glocks, but the slides are thinner.

if i lived on the west side of atlanta, i'd try to get a job at the glock factory in smyrna. i bet employee discount is great.

5. texchef

texchef Guest

The Glock and the XD did feel a lot alike. For me it was mainly the weight that was so different. For the XD to be a sub compact it just felt heavier than it should have IMO.

6. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

I say Walther or Sig...unless you are going to do some serious target shooting, then get a 1911. You really can't go wrong with either one, just steer clear of the P99 in a .40 unless you are POSITIVE it's German.

7. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Answered your own question. ;) The XD is more top heavy than the Glock.

8. kellyclan

Compressed? You may mean compensated. If it was, you would have noticed the holes in the top of the slide and barrel. Also, when shooting it, you would have seen the burning gases coming straight up in a V shape. Yes, this would reduce the muzzle jump, but it's not very practical except for target shooting guns.

Your choice should depend mostly on your preference and intended purposes. If you want the gun to keep at home, in the car, break it out at the range now and then; any gun that you're happy with will fit the bill. If you want a gun to carry concealed, size and practicality of carry become an issue to factor into that equation.

9. texchef

texchef Guest

Sorry, I meant compensated. It was late when I wrote that. :) To be honest, the sick bastard in me likes the Beretta better for the simple fact that if nation-wide hell breaks loose I will always have mags from the fallen law enforcement who carry the same gun. Shitty sounding, I know.

I guess my ultimate goal would be a pistol that I could barrel swap to a .40 SW when I decide to move up in caliber. Any suggestions??

10. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Get a glock in .40 and a 9mm barrel for practice. You can always get a Hogue handall to make the gun very comfortable. A new KKM precision or Bar-Sto barrel isn't that much money, and it only takes a few seconds to swap out. My vote is for the Glock, but what would you expect from someone with a username like GlocksRock.

11. Platinum_Thunder

come on...stop whoring such a shit gun

12. texchef

texchef Guest

Your the Walther expert....I mean freak. Can a P99 barrel swap to .40 SW?? If not then Glock may be the way I want to go.

13. Platinum_Thunder

I am like 99% sure you cannot. Is there a particular reason you would want a .40? I think it's rather stupid to practice with one thing and then switch for personal protection. I don't really see that being a big selling point :dunno:.

I you are serious about the Walther, hit me up on PM or here and I will help you in any way I can. Just FYI, if you read some other gun boards and see that a Walther is having problems I can assure you it's a .40cal. 9mm is the ONLY way to go.

14. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

:greddy:

If you want to be able to do a barrel swap with a glock, you MUST get the .40 or .357 sig. The breechface on the 9mm glocks is too small to accommodate a .40 round. But you can also swap between .357 sig and 9mm if you get the .40 or switch between 9mm and .40 if you get the .357 sig.

15. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Are you really wanting to take advice from someone who has an avatar of a racoon wearing a nintendo controller truckers hat? :fawk:

16. texchef

texchef Guest

OK, so there has been some decent discussion here and I really apprciate it. I guess what I did not mention earlier was my reasons/wants for getting one. I am a computer geek/car buff at heart so versatility in anything I buy is a must. I want the most for my money. I will be getting a CHL and my car will be where I mainly carry. Due to the obvious lack of serious martial law I personally don't feel the need for body carry.

I am also a person who thrives on being good at everything I do so something I can practice with and be accurate with is also a biggie.

17. KW

KW Guest

If you like the Sig take the time to hunt around for a Sig P228. It's essentially identical to the 229, but only comes in 9mm and is usally about $150-200 cheaper. They are hard to find because most go to government contracts, but represent one of the best deals in Sig-dom.

[​IMG]

18. itchiban

itchiban Guest

Damn thats a good looking gun. I love how sigs look.

19. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

SIG 228 > *.SIGS, except for the P210.

20. Platinum_Thunder

:hahano:

21. Platinum_Thunder

Walther has a better trigger :wiggle:

22. Platinum_Thunder

I say if you want someting just for target, get a 1911

23. kellyclan

He said SIG, not Kel-tec. :slap: :fawk: