So I went down to the apple store today v. Intel Core Duo iMacs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by IcyHot4Life, Jan 20, 2006.

1. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

I was in the neighborhood and stepped in for a minute, to find that they had a few floor models of the new Core Duos out. Let me say, those things are FAST. :coold:

I was screwing around on the 20" 2GHz and the Quad 2.7 G5, and in terms of interface / snappiness in the Finder, the iMac was blowing away apple's top of the line machine :eek3d: Dashboard was WAY smoother and faster to load, everything on the Core Duo felt so responsive... REALLY makes me want to replace the old G4 I'm typing on right now :hs:

Didn't get to test any non-universal binary applications, but according to the Ars Technica review of the 17" a few days ago, it doesn't sound like much to worry about. Go intel :cool:

2. Icedog

Icedog New Member

weird, I thought the Quad PowerMac or whatever it's called was a bit faster in most things. Granted I didn't have a lot of time to play with the iMac...

3. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

I didn't have a great deal of time to bench anything, I just noticed that the interface on the core duo was schooling the quad G5. dashboard was completely fluid whereas the g5 hesitated when pulling it up :dunno: I'm sure it would take the core duo in some respects but just the interface speed alone is worth it to me.

4. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

our apple store doesn't have them yet, unless they put them out today :dunno:

5. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

the guy in the store said he thought they only received floor models, and that they had at most a few that were actually available for sale. maybe it's possible that apple's taking care of backorders / cancelled orders first? devoidarex already got his after all :dunno:

6. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

that's intersting, but I wonder if that can be taken as a true indicator of overall processing power.

7. dnicol

dnicol shoopdawoop

jeez. I want to get a Powermac but this is making me hesitate. I wonder how long before the intel coreduo powermacs come out?

8. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

i'm betting a while, the quad Powermacs were a pretty major update, the most recent updates for the iMac line was just adding front row and iSight.

9. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

I think it'll go

macbook
    mac mini
    then powermac.

but idk, thats just me.

10. dnicol

dnicol shoopdawoop

i thought it would be the last one too. hopefully with the new mac minis they will add cinema display support. that would make it worth buying for me.

11. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

they better put in front row.

12. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

yeah, i was in an apple store today too, noticed that it was pretty snappy...

13. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

i was in one last monday, they didnt have them in yet :wtc:

14. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

Sit down and take a look at Intel's roadmap for 2006. You can find it on Anandtech, HardOCP and Tom's Hardware. I'll bet Apple will release the first Intel PowerMacs around the time that Intel releases a brandnew build of desktop processors, such as their first X86 x64s, etc.

15. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

my guess would be at one of the pro sorts of conferences, i.e. NAB....and, i thought they said something about pro apps being uni binaries by march? in which case, i'd expect a simultaneous rollout of hardware and software

16. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Someone remiend me, when did they release the new iMacs (with iSight and front row, not intels) and when did they release the new Powermac (quad) and have they added anything to the macmini since it was released a year ago? (besides doubling the ram).

And the last iBook update was the G4, correct?

I'm just wondering, because it seems like all of those just mentioned (besides the mini) were released just outa no where.

Should we be expecting another "One more thing..." announcment/meeting sometime within the next month.

17. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

Well if you believe the rumors, Apple had to hold off some of their Macworld announcements due to product shortages from Intel. I think we'll see Macbooks (iBook replacements) and Mac Mini first because Intel doesn't have an x86-64 CPU right now and I think Apple will want to keep the PowerMacs at 64 bits if possible.

18. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

thanks. And i'm listening to whatever I hear.
    I was starting to get convinced about the flatscreen tvs before I relaized that apple would loose about 3000 dollars on each one at the rumored prices.

19. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

yeah, i'm hoping they release new ibooks...hopefully for around the same price point as the old ones...
    i'd sell mine and pay the difference...
    that and a macmini are what i'm really looking forward too...

20. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

qft

apple's powermac is THE profesisonal machine, a step down to 32bit computing FTL

21. falnfenix

falnfenix New Member

i work in IT at a hospital in their radiology department, and we have about 100 Mac users in the department. from what i understand, one of them has ordered a new MacBook. i haven't had chance to go into the store and fiddle, so i'm REALLY looking forward to this...especially if the interface loads that quickly.

fast Macs make Laura happy.

22. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

A quad core G5 powermac is one of the most powerful desktops available. No notebook has anything on it.

23. samxx

samxx self made man

is for full on multitasking
    (eg say you need FCP5HD, compressor, motion, adobe, after effects, live type and soundtrack... at the same time... with itunes, chat, mail, other worthless apps....

:bowdown: quad g5 :bowdown: