SRS So I was thinking of joining the Marines...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jas0n, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Jas0n

Jas0n Антихрист

Not 'cause I want to serve my country, or because I believe in whatever cause our military might be finding itself invested in right now, but because I want the training and the experience.

If I were adrift, this would be a no-brainer, it'd be a done deal... but I'm not. I've got a s/o of about three and a half years, I'm a year or two away from getting my degree...

Thoughts? Help??

2. Boognish

Boognish New Member

It is a personal decision, but it will be difficult on your relationship, and you need to go in with your eyes open understanding that as a marine, you will most certainly be put in harms way.
    OTOH, being a marine will give you unique experience and training.
    What is your degree in? Will service be of benefit to the discipline you have studied? Will it fit into your long term goals?

3. Fearan

Fearan Guest

Get your degree first, then enlist as an officer. It'll give time for the war to end. :o

4. SICK GUY

SICK GUY 69, DUDE!!

i enlisted when i was 17.

best advice is to make sure you know what youre getting into. the recruiters will promise you the world, and then not deliver. so if there is a specific job you want, and your asvab scores are good enough, hound your recruiter about it.

5. beefarinos

beefarinos New Member

Have you thought about going into the reserves? You would get the experience and college tuition benefits, but also have time to finish your degree. If you wanted to transfer from the reserves to active duty after you have your degree it is easy to do.

Any college credits you have should translate into a higher rank going in, and will count towards promotions once you get to the NCO level. (you should start out as at least an E-4 with that much college, and would expect you could make E-5 in just a couple years depending on your MOS).

As for your S/O, do you think your relationship can last a seperation of 3 months for boot camp? Plus another seperation during your MOS training (unless you want the costs associated with a temp. move so she can be with you during this time).

After that it can be a pretty stable 9-5 job depending on the MOS. If you get a technical or skilled position, it can literally be an office job. If you go into a position where you get a security clearance it can certainly help if/when you transition back to a Civilian carrer.

BTW...is there a reason for the Marines? They have the longest initial enlistment obligation (6years) of all services. If you are simply looking for job skills, go air force or navy, they have most of the skilled positions. The army offers enlistments as short as 2 years (depends on MOS).

But if you are thinking of joining the Marines for the challenge of becoming a Marine, then the benefits of service are really secondary. If you are thinking of joing the military for the benefits of service, the Marines is probably not the best choice, IMHO.

6. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

I should have joined when I had the chance, My asvab scores were the highest out of all the vocational students, they want me to be a nuclear engineer, I decided to goto college instead, If I could do it again I'd join, I'd be dame close to being out by now as i would have joined in 02 and I would be on my way to a very good paying career, instead I'm still in school working on a business degree after changing majors last year.

7. Jas0n

Jas0n Антихрист

I appreciate all of your replies, this is something that I really want help fleshing out, and am sort of reluctant to discuss with the people around me because I think they'd be highly opinionated about it (not in favor); I want to make my decision without their help.

My degree will be in history. Military service... I see no reason why it'd benefit me; I've been contemplated going to law school after completing my degree. Some of you suggest that I finish my degree and then enlist, so that maybe the conflict in Iraq ends and I won't get myself into trouble... problem is, the combat experience is something that I badly want.

And that's partly why I chose Marines. People that I talk to ... they say that unless you go into some ridiculous special forces kind of engagement (Navy SEALs or Army Rangers I guess, whatever else), the Marines is the best way to get really gritty, front-line experience. People that I talk to tell me that the Army tends to be more mechanized, more computerized, whereas Marines are trained to rely more on themselves than accessories. Of course there's no judgement in this differentiation at least as far as I'm concerned, but I can do computers here. I would hate to do with my time in the service hanging around at base, or even worse, at a desk.

As for my S/O and our ability to hold a relationship together for three months while I'm at boot camp ... I see no reason why it'd be a problem. We have a strong relationship. As a matter of curiosity, when I'm in boot camp am I sequestered to camp without contact with the outside world entirely?

I've been scanning official websites and unfortunately they look pretty worthless. Seems that they're too busy trying to flash recruitment photos to answer simple questions, which is really too bad. For example, I wonder if there's a way to take the ASVAB prior to enlistment, just to see what I could get into? I know they are having recruitment issues (well... that's what I'm told anyway) ... not that getting a fat check is my first priority, but will I be well-compensated for my time should I join? I don't want to talk to a recruiter, in my experience those guys are serious hounds.

See, these are the questions that I have to find answers to before I can rightly make this decision. Any more advice or words of wisdom you folks can offer... hugely appreciated, once again.

8. 98formyws6

98formyws6 New Member

keep in mind you will be going to MOS school along w/ MCT or SOI (whether or not you go in as 03). I don't know your situation w/ your girlfriend but think of it this way...if you're not super serious about her right now (as thinking of marriage) you will have to put her in the backburner, I wouldn't go as far as saying dump her but believe me you, your relationship will cause you tons of unncessary headache and anxiety.

If you have the slightest doubt in your heart dont enlist. When I was in boot there were tons of recurits who didn't know what they were getting into. Maybe their recuirter painted them a fancy picture and they just got overwhelemed. For whatever reason some of them ended up in the MHU (mental health unit) stayed their for a few weeks and got recycled back into training. I don't mean to scare you but trust me, it was a complete utter 180 shock for me, something I was not ready for.

As for the reserves...that's definately not a bad way to go BUT as a college student be warned. My buddy in the reserves got called up for various shit and he should have been graduating this year. Yeah he fucked up in school somewhat but needless to say, his deployment for training had to do a lot w/ it, now he's only done w/ 2 yrs.

and always be cautious w/ recuriters. i hate to say this but i've seen too many kids get dicked over by them. if you notice they will tell you exactly what you want to hear, are there good guys out there? most likely but i had bad experiences and just be cautious.

i would highly advise you finish college and get your gf situation squared away. As for the asvab, you can take practice ones. if you go in as a 03 series there is zero bonuses, you'll give your recuirter a good chuckle if you ask for one, this is the Marines not the army. Could have changed though, been a few yrs since I've been in.

My post may seem a little negative and I don't mean to offend you but trust me you don't want to enlist in the Marine Corps on a whim or just for the experience. You really have to know what youre getting yourself into.

Enlisted life will be pretty shitty and the pay will be shittier, you will think what the fuck especially if you have your degree, try going the PLC or OCS route when you finish college. good luck whatever you choose to do

9. Jas0n

Jas0n Антихрист

I'm glad you posted that. This morning I thought more on it and wondered if maybe I was looking at a bad deal, trying to get into the Marines especially... you probably confirmed it, and logically speaking it makes sense to say that unless a person is absolutely sure that's what they want, enlisting isn't the way to go. As for the girl, I know we'd hold together, but I'm sure you're right about it causing unnecessary heartache and anxiety. For both of us, I'm sure. Come to think of it, I can't see myself putting her through that.

Ahh well. I may still try and take that ASVAB practice test and see how I do, even without running off into the Marines the military might be a decent way to go. I dunno. But that's another line of thought entirely. Thanks for your post.

10. 98formyws6

98formyws6 New Member

No problem, you shouldnt have a problem w/ the ASVAB, especially since you got into college. It really is a joke, check out the barracks section on this forum or also another good forum is military.com they have all the branches so you can get indepth questions answered (I haven't been there for a few yrs but they were helpful when I was thinking of enlisting). Again you have pleanty of time and I didn't mean to discourage you at all.

11. beefarinos

beefarinos New Member

Not really true. In fact in Iraq, serving as a combat MP is a good way to see some action, actual door-to-door security sweeps of hostile villages. It's up to you which branch and what MOS, but also be aware that there is no guarantee that you will see combat, additionally, if you go Marines you are stuck in a 6yr contract...you can go Combat MP in the Army on a 2yr contract.

Pretty close to it. You can write letters, and are usually given a little free time on Sundays to call home. But it's not much, and for the first few weeks it's even less than a little.

To take the ASVAB and find out what jobs you qualify for and they have slots for, you would need to talk to a recruiter. You can do all of that before signing your enlistment papers. If they don't have the job you want you can tell them you don't want to join. It's also best to figure out everything you want to get before you go in, and then hold out until the recruiter puts it on your contract, if you do decide to join.

As for compensation, you can see for yourself here:
    http://www.military.com/Resources/ResourcesContent/0,13964,78426,00.html

Note, those figures are monthly base pay. They do not include combat or hazardous duty pay. They do not include the value of your free housing and food. (You can get Housing pay to live off base if you qualify (BAQ, BAH, BAS).

As for what 98formyws6 said about the kids who get shell shocked and end up in the mental health unit (we had two discharged for it when I went through). It's not that big of a deal. If you are an average person of decent intelligence you can make it through.

When I went in I picked a combat MOS, got AirBorn school on the contract because I wanted the military *experience*. Not for the benefits, not for the education, simply for the purely testostorone. Never saw combat, but did get sent over (First Iraq, only to come straight back because it was over). Wasn't nearly as glamorous as I had thought it was going to be, but it was something I still have stories about.

If you want the military *experience* there is no other way to get it. It's unique and I don't regret it for a minute. For me it was one of those things, it really didn't matter what the recruiter was going to try and sell me, or what people around me said were "better" options, or job skills I would have gotten with a technical military job, I wanted a combat job..I wanted to shoot things and jump out of planes. I'm 30+ doing a computer job 40+ hours a week....and nobody can take away the feeling of jumping out of a C-130 at 1300' in the middle of the night with a light mist. (And yes, that feeling does indeed kick ass)

12. ebbnflo

ebbnflo REAL- LAOT Hermit

Very interesting, Jas. My father was a Marine. I am going to mull this over in my brain and probably PM you if you want my .02.
    (Though it's looking like your mind is pretty close to made up anyway.)

13. Jas0n

Jas0n Антихрист

:) Of course I want your .02. I'd have put this in a PM to you anyway, but I know you read this forum enough that you'd see it. :wavey:

14. R KriLLz

R KriLLz Uncomfortable in my own skin.

dude... I'm joining the marines for the experience as well. I'm also a year or two from getting a degree.

If that's what will make you happy....

15. Ded Guy Walkin

Ded Guy Walkin New Member

Thanks for all the info everyone. I feel that this is something I have to do as well. The biggest obstacle will be explaining to everyone why I am enlisting.

16. R KriLLz

R KriLLz Uncomfortable in my own skin.

I talked to a marine recruiter today and mentioned that I heard that... he said it was actually four.

of course i'll believe anyone before a recruiter, so what's the catch?

17. beefarinos

beefarinos New Member

That was what my Army recruiter told me 13 years ago when I first joined. Both my brothers signed up for the Marines about 8 years later and I thought they both had 6 year contracts, but I could be mistaken. They change stuff all the time, so it's possible it's changed or even that I'm wrong (it was 13 years ago). If they say they can get you a 4 year contract, I wouldn't doubt it. Still its longer than a 2 year army enlistment.

Now, they do like to tack on your training time to the end of your contract. When I signed up I signed up for 3 years. It was a 2 year contract, plus a 1 year obligation for the Airborn school option making a "3 year" enlistment. My total obligation however, was 3 years 6 months. The extra 6 months was the training (Basic (8 weeks) & MOS (12 Weeks) & Airborn (4 Weeks)).

There is also the default 8 year obligation that everyone who signes up is under. Basically from your ETS date (Expiration Term of Service, the end of your enlistment) you are put on Inactive Reserve (IR) and can be called back to service until your total obligation time (Active Duty/Reserves + IR) is 8 years. When I was processing to go to Iraq we had a lot of IRR (Inactive Reserve Recalls) processing at the same time....those were some bitter mother fuckers.

The deal is this, before you sign any contract make sure you read it. Don't get preassured into signing something you don't want.