SRS So I was talking about my S.A.D. with a shrink

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JohnJohnJohnson, Nov 21, 2006.

1. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

Social anxiety disorder. And it made me dislike her.

What happened was, I was explaining how in the public it's easier to socialize than in college. Here in college the people are hand-picked specimens: intelligent, often wealthy, and my age. In the public, as a young well-educated man yada yada, finding someone of this sort is in itself a surprise when you're walking down the street, so there's an automatic connection; and anyone else already has lower status than you do socially (in their own eyes) so they (with prejudice) already respect you more. It's easier pickings. I expect people to take this paragraph a little bit defensively but this is just the way things are in reality.

After explaining why the public was easier I added that if I go to a nightclub however, the anxiety is bad again. I said, "Nightclubs are where educated people go to be obscene."

At this she started cracking up with that kind of satisfied laughter someone makes when they hear a joke that they really agree with, that rubs them the right way. I don't actually have this kind of prudish stance on nightclubs, I was just hyperbolizing b/c people like it when you make strong statements, but she starts chuckling wisely and says, "That's so true," and smiled in that way that signifies somebody likes you more because you said something they believe.

That plus the way she presents herself ... what we are dealing with here is one asexual drab of a therapist.

2. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Why not switch therapists?

3. JohnJohnJohnson

Cuz I'm not really ill. It was just a kind of check-up sort of thing and I don't actually have S.A.D. anymore, just remnants of it I can behaviorally cure on my own.

4. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

This therapist is not the type of therapist that you can connect to. You two are on a different frequency of thinking, and acting. You know the people who do think like this (the whole im better then you) kind of thing, are people who live in darkness. All People should be loved unconditionally, wether they are fat, slim ,nice or mean, poor or rich. Some of the people really can't do anything about the misfortune that happens to them, like handicapped, but that doesn't make them bad people.

And you know if you know this, then you wouldn't give a damn about what people think of you, anyone who judges you is wrong and lives in darkness to begin with. So when you go out to a nightclub have fun , its not meant to be a torture chamber to begin with. If people think stuff like 'oh that john person is this and that, its 'their' problem, not yours.

Im going to agree that you should get another theraphist in the future, if you ever still need one that is.

5. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

This is part of the reason I prefer a male psychologist. Sexuality can be talked about more easily and it doesn't get uncomfortable. Also, if I strongly disagree with him on a topic or he says something that I really don't like, I can just say it and not feel like I'm hurting his feelings. With a female psychologist I'd be worried that I could break her down or that she will get offended.

6. JohnJohnJohnson

in general i agree, although i know a fucking load of women who understand the male perspective entirely with no condemnations, one of whom is a shrink

seriously women like this shouldn't council men

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006