GUN So I was in a dark parking lot last night

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Artyboy, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

I walked up to my car and this old lady walked up to me. She was probably 5'6", 50ish, blonde and looked very white trash. She had a pit bull on a leash. Anyway, she approached me and the first words out of her mouth were "I'm not going to hurt you" when she was about 10 feet away. Naturally I thought that she was about to beg for money. I just rolled my eyes at her, pretended to ignore her and got in my car. I did watch her out of the corner of my eye and she just stood there looking at me like she expected me to ask her what she wanted. As soon as I sat down in my car I realized that if she was going to try something that my gun was gonna be hard to get to. She was just standing outside of my car about 10 feet away staring at me dumbfounded so I started my car and drove off.

I've been thinking it through in my head and I'm not really sure what I could have done better. It turned out ok but she could have been after my car or money. If she had tried something when I was out of the car then I probably could have gotten my gun out in time by running around the front of my car and putting some space between us while I was drawing or something. If she had reached for anything as she was approaching me then I'm pretty confident that I would have had my gun out first. I saw her from a mile away and was kinda expecting something by the way she was looking at me. Once I sat down in my car, though, I realized that I was basically a sitting duck. As I was getting in she wasn't doing anything so I couldn't exactly draw my gun. I didn't have a gun in the glovebox like I usually do, either, otherwise I would have just popped that open. What do you guys think? I probably should have drawn my gun and put it in the seat as I was getting in. I'd hate to introduce a gun into any scenario when it's not really necessary, though, and it would've been really hard for me to take it out without her seeing it.

Cliffs: Some old lady approached me in a dark parking lot while I was going to my car. She just turned out to be a bum but if she had done something after I got in my car I probably would've been fucked.

2. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

If someone said "I'm not going to hurt you" That would send off alarm bells in my head. Why would you say that unless you're thinking in that state of mind? If she was close I probably would have asked her "CAN I HELP YOU?" In a polite but authoritive voice. Remember, who cares if she thinks you're a dick, if you're safe and can go home to your family...you won.

3. Gimik

Gimik New Member

It'd make me pretty nervous too. I'd probably have waited for her to leave before getting in my car. It puts you in such an akward position.

I'm not sure what I would have done if she wouldn't leave - that would set off alarm bells too.

I'd be worried about a pitbull (or any large dog) as well.

4. Artyboy

:werd: I probably should've asked her to leave me alone and then watched her walk off.

5. Artyboy

I should post this in the main forum :mamoru:. Hilarity will surely ensue.

6. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

:werd: a semi well trained protective dog is probably the biggest threat there. maybe it was like that csi episode where the chick doctor used her dogs to maul people so she could cut out their livers so she could make protein drinks with them because she had some "vampire" disease

7. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I would have told her to get away, I don't want to hear anything she has to say and she needs to walk away. I've had to do this in a few situations (jogging kinda late, at the grocery store). The one time jogging the guy was all by himself on the side of the street I was on so I crossed the street, he did at the same time. As soon as he started approaching me I told him to get away, not yelling but very sternly. He tried talking but I just kept telling him to get away and leave me alone.

The time at the grocery store I was putting groceries in the back when I realized there was a guy standing about 15 feet away just staring at me. Same thing, told him very sternly to stay away.

8. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

And I get shit on for holstering and unholstering so often. In the Jeep, gun comes out and goes in console holster. Holster gun, open door, get out of Jeep.

I figure the most likely time I'll be accosted is when I'm least likely to be able to clear leather, so I always have the pistol holstered at hand. I must look like a nut to the truckers who look down and see a hand resting on a pistol butt while I'm driving, though.. :o

9. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I worry about that though. If I'm unholstering to transfer to the car holster, I'm afraid that person would call the cops for brandishing. Maybe I'm just being paranoid though - I hate always having to think about that shit.

10. Thunderbear

You must not be driving the truck around. In the Jeep, they can't see inside anyway, it's too high :mamoru:

11. Gimik

Gimik New Member

correct. My daily is a little bmw. But I mean that moment when you're unholstering if someone is standing right next to you like in this scenario.

12. Thunderbear

The kinds of people that are going to see you unholstering are not the kinds of people that are going to call the cops. And if they do? You're a valid CCWer with no record, transporting a weapon in a safe manner off your person. What are they going to do? I worry about a lot, carrying, but that's not one of the things I worry about.

13. mtnbike4522

mtnbike4522 CelicaTech.com

I allways take mine off my hip and put in inbetween the seats so i can access it easy if need be when i get into my truck

14. Artyboy

Honestly this experience made me learn my lesson. So well in fact that I went to the store tonight and didn't even bother to unholster my gun :wtc:. It really pisses me off when I think back and realize all of the stupid shit that I do :mad:

15. Thunderbear

Make it a habit. Before the seatbelt goes on, gun comes out and goes in holster. Don't start the car until the weapon's holstered close by your hand. It's kind of easy for me, as I'm a lefty and the seatbelt catches on my gun anyway. :o

16. Artyboy

I just need to get a good holster to mount to the seat. Maybe I'll just start leaving my 1911 in between the seat and the console all the time :o

17. Thunderbear

Don't waste a good holster for car duty. Pick up a shitty Mil Tec or Uncle Mikes nylon wonder with an extra mag pouch and leave a spare mag in it, and just leave it in the car. Extra ammo and your heater's at hand.

I'm considering having a truck gun by buying a CZ52 that I can leave in the Jeep, along with a pawn shop riotgun for under the backseat I can just say fuck it and forget it.