GUN So I was having a conversation with a coworker and . . .

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by [DWI], Dec 23, 2008.

1. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

the conversation turned towards firearms and I wanted WMD's opinion of this.

First of all everyone jokes that we are heading towards being more and more like the UK, including firearms laws (jokes in the manner of "most truths are said in jest.") It seems that ranges are closing and the number of gun owners is shrinking. In some respects it seems we face a movement as powerful as the tides, even if it is slow against gun ownership. At some point it seems likely that too few people will care and further regulations will be a non-issue, simply ignoring the vocal minority.

So here is where it got odd, but I had trouble refuting the argument. As a gun owner and a hunter my coworker would like to see Obama attempt a complete ban with confiscation of firearms (note: attempt not carry out.) His logic was simple, the footing of the firearm community is the best it is going to be for the foreseeable future, "tomorrow another grandfather will die and his family will sell his firearms cheap at an estate sale to be rid of them, not future generation will be introduced to the hobby," also at this current time there might be enough intelligent people outside of the firearms community to realize this would be more than firearms this would be a private property issue. He believes that the more time that passes before such a confrontation takes place the less likely the firearms community is likely to win.

So what does WMD think? The only argument I could come up with off of the top of my head was that he is assuming that such a confrontation is inevitable, be in next year with Obama or 90 years down the road.

2. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

I don't think it's so much a culture-war thing as it is a decline in the willingness (and ability?) of Americans to go outdoors, do it themselves, get dirty, or work hard.

Some huge percentage of the population used to go camping with some regularity and spend time in the outdoors making a fair attempt at "roughing it." Nowadays "camping" seems to involve an RV and damn-near all the comforts of home.

Take home improvement. Used to be that the average man was fairly comfortable down at the local hardware store, could build a doghouse from scratch, do sheetrock repair or plumbing in a pinch, and knew standard fastener sizes. Nowadays Home Labyrinth has installation services for the "do it yourself'r" that can't handle installing a new faucet.

I'm sure there are a number of factors to blame such as the urbanization of the population, urban sprawl consuming more and more land near cities making outdoor activities that much more inconvenient, todays' kids' addiction to electronic entertainment, the total lack of respect (and wages) paid to the working class, etc etc etc.

3. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Our society is going to shit is the problem, I went to Taco Hell tonight and it was probably 20 high school kids in there. None of them had any respect, one guy even had a that had a hand on it that stuck up a middle finger every time he squeezed a ball.

4. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

Wall E is a good example of where our society is going :mamoru:

5. Rev Happy

Rev Happy Active Member

I don't believe it. In my opinion, reality will present the opposite. The real world presents even bigger dangers today than ever before, let it be weather, war, or socioeconimic crimes. The propogation and continuation of firearm education would be directly related. The increase in recent sales reflects that intelligent civilians understand that we do not live in a utopia. Governemnent will not be able to protect citizens in the way our constitutional rights allow.

6. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

I think the increase in sales is previous owners buying more, not new owners. But I haven't seen evidence one way or the other about that.

As far as government not protecting its citizens- people need to be convinced of that fact, but when I cite things like Warren vs DC they call me paranoid.
    How does one convince people to protect themselves BEFORE they are victims?

This is a symptom of our "reactionary society". Schools had crazy security AFTER Columbine, flying was a security hassle AFTER 9-11. Too often, people don't prepare, they react.
    Since I have failed to precipitate preparedness, Is it then my responsibility to precipitate reaction?

7. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

I've been taking my friends shooting with me every chance I get.

One co-worker just purchased an HK USP40 Compact after going shooting with myself and another co-worker. He completed his CHL class a week ago.

A manager in my office joined us at the range a couple weeks ago. He is now asking serious questions about purchasing a gun and what is involved in getting his CHL.

Another co-worker that only has bolt rifles and shotguns (avid hunter) is now seriously considering buying a 1911 after he and his girlfriend shot mine. Granted this isn't a 'new' owner, but it's a completely new segment of the firearms market that he's never considered.

So, I know of two people that previously had no firearm experience who are now joining our ranks, and one that is expanding into a new market. Yes, it's only a couple of people and it may be a small percentage of overall gun sales, but it shows that there are definitely some that are becoming new gun owners in these unsure times. :cool:

8. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

New owner signing in. I got myself 2 guns ( unrelated to the election, i want to hunt in the near future) and a few friends for target practice and possible ipsc stuff.

9. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

I know several new gun owners w/in the last few months... All the gun talk that was going around before and after the election has pushed people who were on the fence off on the new gun owner side...

10. Silver 93 Supra

Silver 93 Supra Social Liberal, Fiscal Conservative

Every person that I have taken shooting has wanted to buy a gun. There seems to be a large barrier in knowledge and cost that keeps people from gun ownership, even though they want to. Most gun stores I have been to have felt exclusive to newbies. It just seems like it is a hard group to join.

11. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Nothing to refute, it is already the case. Look at how Alan Gura who argued Heller stated that he couldn't even mention machine guns or he knew he would lose everyone. Ask your random person about machine guns, assault weapons, or silencers and you'll see that we're already well on the road. It just takes time to erode the 2nd amendment further.

I don't know that there would be a reaction but it doesn't matter because it isn't going to happen. Instead of speculating about a glorious uprising he needs to take some noobs to the range. The only way to hold off the anti's as long as possible is to build our numbers.

12. calteg

calteg Those who would sacrifice personal liberty for sec OT Supporter

Don't take things so seriously...life will kill yo
    Relatively new owner here. Same story...brother-in-law took me to shoot trap and I got hooked

13. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Damn, you gonna execute your friends??? :eek4::eek4::eek4: