So I was about to install my new fronts and I found this crappy job:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by violator, Oct 24, 2005.

1. violator

violator New Member

previous owner of the car said he upgraded the tweeters only... this is what i discovered

[​IMG]

no woofer surround...

[​IMG]

just ripped stuff out for the speakers to fit

[​IMG]

"nakamichi" speakers

[​IMG]

crossover

[​IMG]

super glued tweeter

[​IMG]

instead of getting an adapter for the stock harness, this is what they did

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

3. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

eh, considering you're driving a 94-97 accord, those nak's were probably new when installed, and were good speakers at teh time. foam surrounds will deteriorate. as far as the tweeter install, that's pretty common, and it's hot glue not super glue, it's just black instead of clear. all in all that's a pretty common honda install. they cut the speaker adaptor to mount the new speaker into the door. sure you can make a new adaptor, but why when you have the factory basket that bolts right in. not quite sure what was going on with that speaker wire situation, but in the pro car audio world, you'll find that small shops don't really use stock harnessess. That's something left to the BB and CC guys.

4. violator

violator New Member

close but it's a 94 gsr

if i want to go to a small shop or best buy would they charge me more than they would have if the stock harness was used? probably right?

5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

well, usually smaller shops work like this: you get charged a labor price (and whatever product you buy), then at the end of the bill, there is a small % charged (3-5) on labor to cover the cost of shop materials (wire/tape/solder/etc.) so you don't get charged 6.99-12.99 for the speaker adaptors, and you usually get better results. i've worked in both, and the calibre of installers at an independant is far better than the average big box installer.