A&P So I wanted to Deny it for the longest time v. Canon vs. Nikon

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by aCab, Aug 27, 2008.

1. aCab

aCab New Member

For about the past year I've been trying to deny the fact that Canon has been losing a lot of ground in the camera race. I thought things were going to get better, but the way things are going, I don't know if they are. Canon used to be the innovative one, but now...I don't know. I think Nikon is kicking their asses. Their marketing is a shit load better too. No wonder they sold a shit load of D40s - the marketing was superb.

And if you guys want to argue that marketing isn't everything...well it is. Better marketing equals more sales with equals more revenue. I guess Nikon turned around and put the revenue generated from all the d40/d40x/d60 and put it into R&D.

And truthfully, to run a photography business, don't you have to have good marketing to even get anywhere. You're not going to get any work if you dont market yourself.

I knew it was coming, but I didn't want to admit it.
    I'd probably take a D3 over a 1dmkIII
    I'd most defiantly take a D700 over a 5d
    By the looks of things, I'd take a D300 and even a D90 over a 50d.

I don't know if I want Canon to hurry up and make some new shit, or if I want to just jump ship and run with Nikon.

cliffs - canon is losing to nikon

2. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

3. aCab

aCab New Member

right now, I think Nikon is the heavier one.

4. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

:werd:

5. NOR*CAL

NOR*CAL OT Supporter

You can't be on top forever.

If you look at CPU wars. AMD was kicking Intel's ass for a while. Then finally, Intel stepped up, and now is so far ahead of AMD it's ridiculous.

Similar to video cards. ATi, and Nvidia are always fighting for the top. Nvidia just took a big hit on their XPS laptops, because of their videocards are over heating, so their stocks have dropped. But I have strong faith that Nvidia would smash on ATI again.

It might be "loser talk", but I'm content with my 5D.

6. aCab

aCab New Member

This is true.

That said, I'm still happy with my 30d. But if I had to start all over again today, like say my stuff got stolen, I'd probably go Nikon.:o

7. mojito

mojito New Member

Who fucking cares?

Competition is good for the consumer.

A competitive product doesn't make yours any less of a tool.

8. NOR*CAL

NOR*CAL OT Supporter

So, your stuff happens to be stolen, and you go to Nikon. By the time you switch over to Nikon, Canon would probably be on the ball again. Then, what are you going to do?

9. aCab

aCab New Member

Competition is good for the consumer. But right now, Canon isn't being too competitive. Even thought the 1dsmkIII is baller.

10. Smeghead

Smeghead New Member

Just cause Nikon may do better marketing doesn't mean they are making better cameras.

11. aCab

aCab New Member

I'll probably get my stuff stolen again. :mamoru:

Honestly I don't know. Thats why I'm unsure if I should just stick it out and wait for Canon to come around.

12. aCab

aCab New Member

:mamoru:

Have you not looked at their lineup?

13. aCab

aCab New Member

Remember when the Nikons used to be just noisy pieces of shit? That's not really the case anymore. That's pretty much the reason I went with Canon in the first place.

14. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

Not entirely. Nikon had quite a long history of being the superior 35mm camera with Canon in second place. I think they lost a lot of ground by making some fundamental mistakes in their early digital strategy:

1. Nikon waited too long before really committing to digital as opposed to film, where Canon threw a ton of money at early R&D.
    2. Nikon went with CCD sensors in their early cameras which had far more noise and lower image quality than the CMOS sensors that Canon used.
    3. They held onto the DX format for everything including pro use and didn't get behind full frame for far too long.

Those three things gave Canon inroads into the market and really let Canon open up an early lead in the digital camera market. However, Nikon has also had a long history of listening to photographers (though it may take them time to implement changes) and now that they've corrected those early mistakes I'd expect them to start pulling away from Canon with their products.

Nikon is now solidly behind digital camera R&D and the partnership with Sony will likely lead to significant gains in sensor development beyond what even Canon is capable of.

It's not a product seesaw anymore where Nikon and Canon trade off on features in their cameras as new generations are released. This is a seesaw on macro scale with significant differences developing in marketing strategy and leading to Canon and Nikon trading places in market lead. Obviously, it's too soon to really determine the course each company is on, but it's clear that Canon has lost a lot of the product focus they had two years ago, while in the same time Nikon has gotten far more clarity.

15. Jonny Chimpo

Tone down the disrespect, son. Don't be calling people tool around here.

:rofl:

16. aCab

aCab New Member

You're so eloquent. :bigthumb:

17. Jonny Chimpo

shhhhhh! I don't know what I'm talking about, haven't you heard? ;)

18. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

That's why I'm switching to Sony.

19. aCab

aCab New Member

:mamoru: Sell my your 5d. :x:

20. Jonny Chimpo

lulz.

21. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

I can't wait until the hardcore canon fanboys of WMD come here and rip you a new one, then this thread will get interesting. :mamoru:

22. Creator

Creator The Creator Has a Master Plan

Why the fuck does it matter? After a certain point its just a bunch of useless shit you dont need. I dont see myself upgrading my 40D in the next few years. It's the photographer not the camera.

23. Jonny Chimpo

To a point, yes. But you should probably remember that your argument doesn't really hold water when you factor in that not every photographer shoots at your level, nor does every photographer have your needs.

You know little things like having top end bodies that can reliably AF in bright sunlight from day 1 is a little important to a working pro. The same can be said for clean ultra high ISO, fast full frame capture, etc. These aren't just bells and whistles, they can actually allow photographers to capture images that would otherwise be impossible or much more difficult.

Cameras are just like other tools in that when you need a hammer, you could use a rock and perform the same task, but a hammer works better. The craftsman wielding the rock can make up part of that difference, but the same craftsman using the appropriate tool will still yield better results.

24. f/2.8L

f/2.8L New Member

Motherfucking werd!

I wish more people would wake up and realize this. Learn to use what you've got. Most people can't push the feautes of new technology anyway. So to sit here and bash newly released stuff is pointless.

25. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

the most important thing to me about a body is ergonomics and comfort.. Canon wins.