MMA So, I want to start training.

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by 4bangin, Jun 25, 2006.

1. 4bangin

4bangin Ballet of Violence

I just wanted to get a few of your guys opinions on which direction I could go in. I mostly want to just learn the sport, then in a few years decide whether or not I would want to compete. My biggest concern is my health and size. I have always been really small framed. For awhile I was 5'10 130ish lbs. Now I'm about 150, but I have more body fat. I'm sure if I worked out and got ona good diet I could be 150-180 with more muscle. I'm honestly pretty weak now. I'm mostly interested in MT, Boxing and a little BJJ. Would either of these be ok with my size or would something like boxing be a waste because I would get pounded.

My next question. Should I train and condition myself first, then sign up for the art. Or just go in out of shape and let them mold me into what I need to be. Thanks guys!

2. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

You're going to condition sooner or later. I'd say take a few weeks to just do a lot of bodyweight stuff and running to make sure you won't get too sore when you train at first.

If you want to train in MT, do MT. It's all about finding what you want to do. Striking is my thing but I'm really wanting to get into ground fighting now. You should start with what seems most appealing, and just allow your game to evolve from there.

3. Trisomy21

Trisomy21 New Member

Well, if you're learning it for sport you shouldn't worry about your size too much. You'd be in a weght division so everyone you fought would be close to you.

4. illmatix

illmatix Diamond Studded Member OT Supporter

Honestly, your size would be an advantage in competitive boxing. You're pretty tall for 130lbs and you'd be put against guys without your reach. I'm about 5'8" 190lbs or so... and there is a guy I spar with who's probably 6'3" and only like 180lbs or so and he gives me a really hard time from the outside. I'm stronger and I can push him around the ring, but once he's outside he can keep me out with his jab. I only get to use big punches to the body when he gasses, but I'm usually gassed by then too. :dunno:

I'd say just get in there and start training. You get fight sport conditioning by fighting... not in the gym.

5. 4bangin

4bangin Ballet of Violence

Another question I have is about the school itself. I'm going to check this place out today (http://www.velocitykickboxing.com/). They have a pretty large building and teach a nice variety. My biggest concern is they are very much into promotions and seems like that want as much as possible (maybe for the money). I'm worried they might not care as much about the actual training and students as they do about making the dollar. Should I look for a smaller more focesed school you think?

Thanks for the help everyone :)

6. Optimus prime

Optimus prime New Member

It's not necessary to be in shape first. If you want to improve your endurance, just go to the training and train till to you get tired. If you are tired then try to keep training hard till the end.
    I did that with Muay Thai and my endurance improved alot in a month.

If you want to make progress then train atleast 2 times a week.

7. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Word. I trained for a few weeks with a fighter named Brandon Seguin. One thing he told me really hit home. "Why the hell would you need to get into shape, before getting into shape?"

8. Mega-JC: Da Return

Mega-JC: Da Return Tiger Knee!

:rofl: makes sense.