So I want to replace my TSX stock speakers?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by weezyfbaby, May 31, 2008.

1. weezyfbaby

weezyfbaby New Member

Looking to replace my front and rear 06 TSX speakers, any suggestions out there? I also have some Best Buy GC from xmas and birthday to spend so what do you guys think? I listen to mostly rap and like my music loud with the windows down so I'm looking to accomodate that...

cliffs: what speakers should I choose to replace my stock 06 tsx's?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

tsx.... rap.... best buy....

a picture has been painted.

3. weezyfbaby

weezyfbaby New Member

im thinkin alpine

any thoughts?

4. weezyfbaby

weezyfbaby New Member

whats wrong with a tsx?

and best buy is just bc i have gift cards there from like a year ago that need to be spent on something

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

nothing is wrong with the tsx, it self. But the combination makes me get a stereotype in my mind.

well what amp are you running? any sub? If so what, and powered by? Hard to make a recommendation without that info.

6. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

if you have factory components, then kicker comps. if you do the alpines, go with the type r.

7. Original

Original OT Supporter

not a fan of alpine speakers at all, but type r's will get the job done.

if you dont have an aftermarket headunit already.. you're gonna need one.

you're better off putting more expensive speakers in the front, rather than getting the same all the way around.

8. Zz_3.14_zZ

Zz_3.14_zZ New Member

:werd:

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The speakers you have will sound louder if you close the goddamned windows. Nobody cares what's on your playlist, and if they do, they can always check out your MySpace page.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

not so sure that's accurate. I think that's why they make you seal the vehicle for dB drags.... open windows provide less pressure/resistance, iirc.

11. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

my sunfire was metered louder, when the windows were down.:o

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

exactly. that's my point.

13. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Windows down is good for bass in some casses, terrible for midbass, and have little effect on trebbel. Basic physics states that sealed will be loudest (containing energy) but if you apply helmholtz properties and standing waves to the car sound pressure on the windsheild can do funny things.

To the OP: The point P07r0457 is making is that your screen name includes an overhyped rapper, you drive an import car that rice kids think is fast (however, in its own measure is a great car), and you want nothing more than to let others know what you are listening to.

However, that is your decision so I wont withhold advice. As a matter of fact, I like to quake everyonce and a while but I dont make a habit of it. It does nothing but destroy hearing and annoy others. Demos are my favorite because I dont have to sit in the truck when they are subjecting their ears to 145dB + but I still get to see my creation work to its full potential and I still get the gradification of being able to impress. I also like to shut people down when they are annoying others in traffic.

More than likely you will want a Co-Ax for simplicity since soundstage isnt of concern. Pioneer REV's will get the job done. To use them to their full potential you'll want to put an amplifier on them. You can either use a LOC an keep your stock headunit or purchase an aftermarket unit. In any case, best buy will have what you need though I dont reccomend you let them install it.

14. Original

Original OT Supporter

i hear you on that one.

I'm not letting cc or bb touch anything in my car anymore. For the third time.. I took a sharp corner and wires shorted out and my cd player blew another fuse.

Whenever I take it in they claim there's no way they did such shitty wiring.. though I've taken it in there repeately without touching it myself. Because of them my system is a fire waiting to happen.

15. weezyfbaby

weezyfbaby New Member

thank you kindly for the advice. I don't necessarily want to quake, but I do like to play my music loud when driving on the freeway or whatever with my windows down or up, I just enjoy my music. I don't need it to pump bass or make the guy next to me's car shake but it is well known that the stock TSX speakers aren't the greatest, I just want to increase the quality and will look into your suggestion. Thanks again

16. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

look for something with a metal dome tweeter. it will give you the most volume (typically) and be most efficient. that's why i recommend the kickers. plus they'll work on stock power. the type r's would prefer an amp, and they are a textile tweeter, but they are damn loud.

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i would generally recommend against metal tweets. they sound soooo harsh to me. i prefer a silk dome.

18. GammaRadiation

Metal domes :generally: are more harsh

Textile domes :generally: are less-so

But if I let you sit in my truck with textile tweeters and took off the EQ you may cry at high volumes...RE can make a great mid but their off-the-shelf tweeters suck.

I'll backup jrock, kicker components are loud and with some adjustment (dont put the tweeters on axis) and equalization they can sound pretty good too, considering.

19. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

6 posts in the thread and you still haven't read it? he wants his music loud and to be loud outside the car. metal tweets are perfect for this.

that said, I prefer textile tweets as well.

20. deusexaethera

That's the point. Instead of the pressure going out the windows, it'll go into his eardrums, so it'll sound louder to him. "Quaking" with the windows down is wasting the energy his speakers are putting into the air, instead of containing it for him to enjoy.

21. GammaRadiation

Are you familure with Helmholtz resonance?

22. deusexaethera

The name rings a bell (pun not intended), but I don't recall what it is at the moment.

23. GammaRadiation

It's the same property that makes ported boxes louder than sealed.

Large air chamber and a bottle neck. The air chamber acts as a spring causing resonance in the neck. When you crack a window or open a door you turn the car into a large helmholtz resonator. 4th or 8th order bandpass box if you will (depending on if you have a sealed or ported box). Thus, in some vehicles, when you make an opening in the chamber you get a gain in SPL.

However, the resonator you create is way out of the frequincy range of the rest of the frequincy spectrum so midbass drops off.

:)

Interesting shit. Before I read up and understood helmholtz ported and bandpass boxes were "magic" more or less. I had no idea how they worked.