A&P So I want to get start in some digital photography...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by infinitex, Aug 6, 2004.

1. infinitex

infinitex Guest

But I don't know how capable of a camera I have in my Canon G3. It seems very limited, but then again, I don't know all that much about what I'm doing.

Help? :(

2. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

Read the manual to your camera. Go out and take A LOT of pictures. Use google to learn about compostion and DOF. Go take MORE pictures. Study some well known photographers. Go TAKE MORE pictures.

3. mojito

mojito New Member

the G3 has pretty much every feature you'll need. You just need to learn what they are and how to use them. Try getting a basic 35mm photography book that explians aperatures, shutter speeds, ISO's and everything else

4. dmora

dmora Guest

Your camera is a great camera to start learning on. Set it to manual and leave it there... you will come out with A LOT of crap pictures, but over time you will learn more. Thats how i learned. :)

5. DamonS

DamonS Flyin' High Again

The best advice I can give is to shy away from manual if you have very little experience. I have a Digital Rebel and the S50 (which is fundamentally the same as the G5 on the inside) and find that it is more than capable a camera for a beginner.

What I would do is start with Av (aperture priority) mode and take some shots with that. Try different aperatures and take notes on how the camera manually compensates the other settings. Try some portraits and macros, etc. I find that Av mode blows AUTO out of the water everytime for many of the shots.
    Once you master the Av mode, move the Tv mode (shutter priority). Take some long exposures (night shots) and some short exposures (action shots, stopping the action). Try every speed if you have to. Take note how the camera is compensating with the other settings.
    When you understand what happens with these 2 modes, you can then go and fiddle with ISO, White balance, etc (bracketing is also a good way to try different exposures, check your manual). Get a feel for what each one does individually. (jumping into Manual right from the start tells you nothing about what each individual setting is doing for you.)

Once you can say you know all the manual settings and have a feel for what settings go good with a particular scenario, switch to manual and try your hand. At worst case, set it to auto and see what the camera thinks, then go back to manual and start with those settings and play around.

I have always found that the drop out rate was very high when starting with Manual settings. Your pictures usually turn out like crap for a longer time than if you try each setting individually and your results are pretty much always "close" to what you were expecting.

Lastly, try an online course. A really good one is at the following address. Just run through the assignments as a bunch of them really put your camera to the test and help you see in real life what every setting does. http://www.morguefile.com/ver3/classroom.php

Lastly, take lots of pictures, its not like it is costing you anything :)
    Good Luck