So I want to get an LT1 Impala SS...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Tweekend, May 9, 2006.

1. Tweekend

Tweekend New Member

Does anyone here have a 94-96 Impala Super Sport? I'd like to get one this summer as soon as I sell off my Blazer. Are these cars reliable? I'd like to get a '96 with around 45-60k miles on it, would I be able to accomplish this with about $9-10k?

2. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

They won't leave you stranded and you can probably score one for that price.

3. Chevy350

Chevy350 OT Supporter

Had a 96 with a 140k miles on the clock when it got totaled. Just reg maint. never a major problem with it. From what i have seen the only ones you are gonna find for that price either have really high miles on them, or have been lowered with 20" rims... stock ones i have seen from the high teens to the high twenties. Great car though.

4. Huge Evil Robot

Huge Evil Robot Must not sleep, must warn others

It boggles my mind how their resale value is so good, even compared to the standard lt1 impala.

5. Tweekend

Tweekend New Member

I don't mind getting one with a few mods, it doesn't have to be totally stock. Are there any major differences between the 94-96? The only thing it looks like people are having trouble with would be the windows coming off track. The only thing I do mind is just getting one without a ton of miles since I do highway driving all the time

6. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Awesome car = awesome resale

Just like the Grand National.

7. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

typical GM problem

8. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

I have a 96 with almost 200k on it now. You won't find a 96 SS for the price you're looking for with less than 100k on it, but with the Impala , thats just past the break in period. LT1s were notoriously long lasting engines due to the final honing process they used. Engines torn down after 200 or even 300 thousand miles have been known to still have the factory cross hatch, with very little ridge. Some problems with the B-bodies are rear window tracks, optispark on the 94s, ball joints, and of course the water pump. All are easy fixes, and not very expensive.

9. Chevy350

Chevy350 OT Supporter

In 96 they went to a center floor mounted shifter rather than clumn shift. I had poly bushings done on all four corners, bilstien (sp) shocks, a 3.73 gears w/ an eaton posi, and flowmasters. GOD I MISS THAT CAR! Check out the impalassforum.com (might have an after forum). Tons of great info on thier.

10. MAD PUNK inDC

:werd: great forum, and they have some good cars up for grabs sometimes.

11. Jesse_Boyer

Jesse_Boyer New Member

12. MAD PUNK inDC

13. hvy55chvy

hvy55chvy OT Supporter

i love the 96 for its analog guages and console shifter. That price and condition would be very hard to find in my area. i looked into getting one a little over a year ago and 96's with under 50k were very few and far between plus had asking prices over 15K. around that time i came across an ss, fully loaded with under 5k, it sold for $23K.
    A school buddy of mine had a nice SS and bolted on a belt super charger. For the couple years i knew him in school he raced it and drove it as a daily driver, never more than some engine oil leaks and worn brakes. I take that back, the water pump gave out at around 170K miles. Biut still one hell of a car.

14. TroubleMan

TroubleMan New Member

i own a 96 SS, stock motor, factory chrome wheels, and slightly lowered.
    had it since 1997, 147k miles..and i love it

15. Jesse_Boyer

Jesse_Boyer New Member

I never drive it. In fact, it's been our storage building for over a year. Hasn't moved since I bought my FRC.

16. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

I have a 95 Buick Roadmaster... while not an Impala, it derives off of the chassis and shares the same engine build.

My car currently has close to 115,000 miles on it the engine holds oil like there is no tommorrow. Definetly built to last.

17. JohnnyBeagle

JohnnyBeagle OT Supporter

I grew up in the back of a '95, excellent cars. I'm still pissed my dad sold his.