So I want my BF to get braces, but how do I ask?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by nikkostarr5, Oct 4, 2005.

1. nikkostarr5

nikkostarr5 New Member

Ok I love my bf to death, and I find him really sexy and I have no problems in the attraction department, however...I also see his potential to be really really cute if his teeth were straight. When I first met him, I kinda dismissed the idea of dating him cuz im usually really weird about straight teeth....but since I saw him as no dating "threat" we became close friends over 4 years and I learned to see beyond it and I fell in love him just the way he is.

SO, now even though I love him, i wish I could hint at the idea of him wearing braces with out hurting his feelings.... It just feels like a touchy subject, and I'm not sure how to give him the idea. :hs:

cliffs: Love the BF how he is, but he's be gorgeous if his teeth were straight, how do I mention the idea of braces??
    :sadwavey:

2. lauren

lauren Active Member

how old are you, and where is he financially in life? braces cost a shitload (or at least they did for me way back when) and to ask him to spend that much money when its unrealistic is well....not right.

3. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

offer to help him pay for them?

4. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

If it was me that'd probably annoy me and make me self conscious for a while. Doubtful I'd end up doing it either if that was the only reason, but that's me maybe/hopefully your BF is different. I've got braces now for a different reason, though I'd never have gotten them if it was only for someone else. Something that costs that much really needs to be done for yourself, so maybe you could try and convince him that it is the best thing to do for himself, rather than what you want him to do.

5. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

And yeh, what lauren said. If there is no way he could afford it, don't bring it up it'll only cause issues.

6. lick wid nit wit

lick wid nit wit Official OT Oracle

You know, this is really petty.

Maybe your BF likes his fucked-up grille. If you want his teeth straight SO BAD, pay for his braces yourself.

Don't change him, accept him the way he is and if you can't, set him free so someone else can love him JUST THE WAY HE IS.

Goddammit!

7. hayte997

hayte997 Guest

Werd. I think it would really upset him for you to drop that hint. My teeth are white and mostly straight but I have one that's a little off and I swear, most people never notice it but this one girl I was dating did and always mentioned til finally one night we were talking about money and she asked if I was gonna spend it on that tooth and I said "what the fuck? go home" and went inside my house, she called my phone and said it was just a joke but I was tired of hearing it so I told her to leave me the fuck alone and never call me again..

8. purplebeast

purplebeast The depths of hell and endless torture await all h

I bet u he'll get braces if u promise to get boob implants.

Or whats the matter? Spending thosands to fit what ur SO think is "hot" dosent exactly make you happy?

9. The_In_Kid

The_In_Kid OT Supporter

damn i just saw this thread..

can't oyu just accept him for who he is?

i have really horrible teeth if my gf told me i would be way more attractive if i straightened my teeth i'd cry
    man i pretty much hate it or get annoyed when people make fun of my teeth its just that people don't understand how much pain i'll have to go through to go have them fixed i got extractions to do and extreme amounts of equipment i've alreadly had spacers placed and i couldn't eat for 2 weeks i had it removed and just looked away from having braces

btw i'm 21

10. islanderman7

islanderman7 New Member

:werd:

11. nikkostarr5

nikkostarr5 New Member

ok your right im a petty bitch "blah blah blah" ok ive heard that. I said I love him how he is, and I probably will not ever mention it. I was just wondering if anyone had.

12. lauren

lauren Active Member

i dont think its necessarily petty....just consider the cost. if you are offering to pay, then sure. but think about how you would feel if he asked you to get a nose job or implants....

:dunno:
    you know him best.

13. Lasu

Lasu 2.0

Braces and breast implants are worlds apart. Just be straightforward with him and ask him to get them.

14. Miss Red

Miss Red New Member

I think that if you can't love every inch of that person, then you're not in love with them . Their imperfections are a vital part of who they are, and should be all the more reasons to love them.

15. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

good thing you're not her.. and good thing she didn't ask for what you thought the definition of love is..

i've always built all my relationships of complete honesty. just be very frank about it and politely ask him something like "hey honey, i dont mean to be rude or shallow or anything, but i was wondering if you've ever thought about braces? i think you're gorgeous, but was curious if you've considered them (which of course he has)." hopefully this'll lead into discussion of why he hasn't gotten them.

perhaps the reason he hasn't gotten braces is because he thinks you/girls would rather see some semi-crooked teeth rather than metal mouth for years. remind him there are invisaline braces like the ones tom cruise wore (i think?) that're hardly noticable. tell be honest and open.

16. nikkostarr5

nikkostarr5 New Member

thanks, thats a really good answer, and to be honest I think he is self concious cuz he rarely smiles all the way, and never in pictures. He also has a weird relationship with his parents, they aren't close and they never help with anything, and I'm sure never offered to get him braces, but they did for his older sister. Honestly, I really can't mention it because he really doesn't have the money, and I have no way of helping him pay for it.

17. nikkostarr5

nikkostarr5 New Member

this is sweet but just not realistic, if your SO had really hairy back would you love it?

18. purplebeast

purplebeast The depths of hell and endless torture await all h

If it bother me that much I would go find someone w/o a hairy back. Of course, since ima guy. I would probably take pics 1st so I can show all my boys what a girl w/ a hairy back looks like:rofl:

19. afterShock81

afterShock81 If I could only have one food for the rest of my l

I'm a guy that is kind of in the same situation. For the past 5-7 years, I've had issues with smiling, because i'm self-concious of my teeth.

I couldn't get braces when i was younger or in my early teens, because the ortho said so....he wanted my teeth to develop more. So......when it finally became a problem, i was already a junior/senior in highschool.....and i didn't want to get braces, just because i thought i was too old.

Then college came around, and I waited and held off for the same reasons. I felt that I'd have a better shot with girls if i didn't get braces........i guess it was just the whole "trying to fit in" thing.

Now, I've graduated and am looking for a job. As soon as I get dental insurance, I'm going to get fitted for invisalign. I want to get it done for "me". I'm sick of not smiling in pictures, and i notice i hold back a lot because I'm self concious of my teeth.

As far as advice..........i dunno really what to tell ya. I'm sure he's uncomfortable....it's always hard bringing up your imperfections. I probably wouldn't mention it, but if he ever does bring it up, just be supportive.

20. Miss Red

Miss Red New Member

Actually, yeah. Because that's something that would make him him. This may seem naive, but it's just how I feel. Besides, braces can be a truly traumatic experience. I don't know if I could ask someone to go through that just so I could feel better about their appearance.

21. Miss Red

Miss Red New Member

:rofl:
    :rofl:

22. ProneToEpisodes

ProneToEpisodes New Member

How bad are his teeth? I have a friend who is a model for FHM and has bad teeth. She has a huge gap in the middel and everyone makes comments. She doesnt care and does not want to change her look. At first I thought she should change them but now it gives her personality.

23. ProneToEpisodes

24. ProneToEpisodes

25. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

most americans are "really weird" about straight teeth. it's kind of rediculous I think because it's easily fixed. obviously it costs a lot of money but crooked teeth don't have to be permanent.

some people may find it to be a sensitive issue. your boy is in canada right? he may not even think anything of it which is why he's never gotten braces. so it shouldn't offend him. it's most offensive to those who are poor and can't afford it.